Salt or tropical help in oz needed please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tidda

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I'm from Australia and I am getting a fish tank for my zen room. Problem is I thought I knew what I want (some neons a 90lt tank n some ornaments) but when we went into fish shop I saw sooo much more. Then I saw a nemo tank! After searching your site last night and google images I have decided it is the colours in the coral I am attracted to and obviously coloured fish. Which I can get in a tropical type tank anyway. But guy at fish store said salt was easier. I'm no where near your level (have had a few tropical a before and learnt that Angels eat neons) but that is about it. I was thinking getting fake corals because I read about all the live issues (I work 12hours a day and whilst I am committed I'm not that commited)
Anyway am wondering if salt really is for a novice that just wants some pretty colour or if I should just go tropical (also worried that I will only have room for 90litre tank and seems I can only have 5 salt fish in that).
Also any advise on tank/filter etc ~ looked at fluval that had a tap at bottom but fish shop guy said they aren't any good?
Thanx heapx for your time :thanks:

Do you have your heart set on a 90L? If not you could go larger and look at some African cichlids. Some of them are really quite stunning once they colour up.

Oh and welcome fellow Aussie :)

Welcome its good to see another aussie :D i personally would go with salt but thats because im addicted to them now haha i also loved my freshwater tank as well but if you can go bigger if you go salt its also a bit more costly in setting up but the rewards are worth it

Thanx for replies ~ no I can't really go bigger. Any bigger will take up too much room and also I won't be able to afford it the fluval tank I was looking at is $600 and then I have to stock it. Probably doesn't seem a lot to enthusiasts but it is about my limit. I also live in country area and am limited to suppliers as I can't get anything big delivered or use eBay etc for the tank or fish:nono:

You could potentially do an amazing planted tank for around $600. A build my LED light fixture will run you about $250, Pressurized CO2 $150 ish, Tank $100 ish used, PFS Substrate $20 - $30, ferts - $20 Then you only have to find a heater and filter that you like.

That doesn't leave much left over for stocking but that is something that can be done over time. It will also be SUBSTANTIALLY less than a saltwater tank the same size.

A school of neon tetras and another school of harlequin rasboras will give you lots of reds, blues, and greens from the plants which is quite a bit of color.

If you are still set on a saltwater tank I would suggest going with a smaller tank in the 20g range with a 10g refugium.

Planted tanks are nice you might not have to run a co2 set up on it id say thats more of a high tec set up i had wisteria growing in my tank with a 2 bulb t5ho set up and just dosed liquid co2 and had root tabs

Planted tanks are nice you might not have to run a co2 set up on it id say thats more of a high tec set up i had wisteria growing in my tank with a 2 bulb t5ho set up and just dosed liquid co2 and had root tabs

True, but hey; If you have the budget for it then go all out :)

Haha yea i spose i would go lo tec first and maybe keep some coin in the bank and upgrade to a co2 set up later on if you with the led lights you could probably grow anything

Haha yea i spose i would go lo tec first and maybe keep some coin in the bank and upgrade to a co2 set up later on if you with the led lights you could probably grow anything

That's true. You would have to start out with a large dosage of glut if a light powerful is chosen though.

eBay is ok for some things but I live in an isolated rural area and so pick ups are out of question as is any big items ~ if it doesn't come aust post basically I can't get it. Was thinking fake plants to start and yeah have gone off salt cause I couldn't get many fish in the size tank I have room n $ for. I love neons so going them with some other colourful fish and maybe a guppy or two :) thank guys if I catch the bug like u I know where to come to for next stage lol:brows:

Wentworth nsw which is 30minutes from mildura ~ just moved from Louth which is 1hr out back of bourke ~ couldn't have tank there cause we had only unfiltered river water lol. Only one aquarium place here is a few franchise pet stores but they were absolutely useless

There are quiet a few places around syd that post out there its a lot cheaper for you to get it probably then me it ends up costing me 120 in postage to WA

Back
Top Bottom