Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Salwater or Freshwater?

Which should I go with and why?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Welcome to AA! Do what you want to do.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Welcome. I agree with rich... ultimately, you're the one keeping the tank, so whatever makes you happy is what you should do.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hey guys, thanks for the welcome. I not familiar with the differences that's why I ask. Which has the nicer fish, which is more affordable, things like that?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree that you should do what you want to do. Here was my biggest mistake, i went out and bought everything and didn't really have a game plan. You should in my opinion look through this site and get a feel for what people are doing, common problems, and what they have as far as equipment and live stock to get an idea what you're getting into as far as, set up, maintenance and ultimately money wise.

Do you want something small, do you wanna go big, community tanks, specific species, planted, fish only with live rock (FOWLR), reefs, corals...Obviously you probably know the list is endless. But if I had to do it all over again, I would start simple (depending on your experience level of course). Doing too much too soon can be frustrating.

But defiantly have a game solid gameplan, and don't rush it, great tanks are built over time, not in one shot. I've developed a great knowledge from reading random posts and asking questions. And i just joined in April.

Good luck and also, WELCOME TO AA!!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

All great advice so far - and I agree - it comes down to what you like, what you feel comfortable with, and what your budget is. As far as cost, generally a SW a/o reef setup is going to be much more expensive than a freshwater setup, though it is just as easy to spend a bunch of cash on a high tech planted FW setup. The same goes for the level of care and involvement required, though if you are looking for simple, a FW community tank is generally the easiest to care for (though there is still regular maintenance involved). There are great fish species for FW and SW, so again it just comes down to what you want to do.
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Dont listen to them guys. Go Saltwater. LOL. Just kidding. I agree just go with what you think you can handle and what you like. I used to think that Sw was harder but after seeing the FW and planted tanks on this site and reading the threads I`ve come to the realization that they are all the same work and same rewards. I do think that the fish and corals are more expensive in SW though. Like everyone said just pick what you think you would like.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

How much time do you have to spend on taking care of the tank? How much space do you have for a tank? How much money do you have for upkeep and set up?

Saltwater takes a lot more time, money, and research. Research and find out which is what you are looking for. Fresh water is cheaper, has beautiful fish and plants. Saltwater is more expensive, has beautiful fish and invertebrates.

Starting either tank you will need a water test kit so you can cycle your tank properly.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy13 View Post
How much time do you have to spend on taking care of the tank? How much space do you have for a tank? How much money do you have for upkeep and set up?

Saltwater takes a lot more time, money, and research. Research and find out which is what you are looking for. Fresh water is cheaper, has beautiful fish and plants. Saltwater is more expensive, has beautiful fish and invertebrates.

Starting either tank you will need a water test kit so you can cycle your tank properly.
freshwater has awesome inverts too.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:15 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

First off let me say thanks and that everyone is awfully nice on this forum and I thank you all for the advice and opinions. I do have time everyday to care for any setup i would have despite having a 7 week old son. Whatever I decide to do I know I will start off with a small tank and take it from there, but as suggested by some of you I will first continue to research and read thru some threads on the forum. Thanks again and I'm sure I'll be back.

Tags
freshwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com