Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Saskatchewan, Canada

Hello all!

After trolling these forums for awhile I thought I would register and introduce myself. My real name is Brett and I am a third year student at the University of Saskatchewan.

I started this hobby in January of this year. I decided to get into fish after I was exposed to the world of Scuba Diving. I instantly fell in love. In January when I got back from my trip, my roomate and I went to the LFS and picked up a 20gal. I asked the people at the store about starting out, not a word was ever mentioned about cycling. I was sent home with several fish.

When I first started I lost quite a few fish, and I couldn't understand why. Unfortunately the LFS people were of no help either. I decided I needed another source of information, something more reliable, people with experience. So I started searching around and somehow stumbled upon this site. Im glad I did!

Currently my tank is doing much better, it's home to:
  • 1x Red wag platy
  • 1x Micky Mouse platy (currently mother of around 20 fry)
  • 1x Peculiarly small platy (doesn't seem to grow)
  • 1x Neon Tetra (Had 3 Neons and 5 Cardinals, however they all died during the cycling. Didn't think he would make it, but he did. Contemplating getting more once I sell the fry)
  • 1x Albino Corydoras Catfish (Another LFS mistake, told me I only needed one)
I am highly interested in starting a planted tank soon, presently my tank contains only fake plants. Ive found quite a few useful links from these forums. You'll probably see me in there asking dumb questions when summer roles around

I look forward to learning a lot from this community, everyone seems incredibly helpful.

Brett

Ps: Sorry about the length of the post!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to the site! The reason your fish probably died was the tank wasn't cycled (not your fault, you have found the right place). During a tank's cycle, there is an ammonia spike (highly toxic to fish), they will be consumed by nitrItes (still very toxic to fish) which, in turn, are consumed by nitrAtes. Once no ammonia or nitrItes are present do a largish PWC to reduce the nitrAtes.
Just hang in there and ask away.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Welcome to AA! I'm from good old SK too. If you need anything specific to local, pm me and I'll do my best to help you find it!

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for your reply roka! I found that out after doing quite a bit of online research, I just wish I had found these forums earlier

And its nice to know that there are some people close to home on these forums as well. I'll probably be bugging you later about some of the local fish stores later.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arical View Post
Thanks for your reply roka! I found that out after doing quite a bit of online research, I just wish I had found these forums earlier

And its nice to know that there are some people close to home on these forums as well. I'll probably be bugging you later about some of the local fish stores later.
This is the best forum for fish and friendly advice on the net. No problem for local help just holler!

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
Stories like this one, my own and countless others I've read make me want to quit this IT systems design rubbish I'm doing now and open up an aquarium.

Hmmmm. must look into that

Welcome to AA Brett!

marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com