Semi-experienced teenage tropical fish keeper.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crazyhermitcrab

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got my first betta a few years ago, I didn't have the money to get him a heater or filter so I gave him to a friend who could. His name was splash, he's still algae tlday. Although they call him hash brown.

Several months later.... I get into national honor society, my parents reward me by allowing me to get a fish tank. I go to the LFS and learn a lot about fish, although my dad relizes we weren't talking bowls, and once he saw the prices we were out of there.

In may I was givin 3 goldfish In a bowl from a friend. I new goldfish couldn't live in bowls, so I went into my basement and got out one of the spare 10 gallons.(we have many pets)

I went to petsmart and bought some aquasafe and gravel, and plants. I didn't have a filter so I made a filter with a sponge and powerhead. I put the surviving goldfish (2) into the tank. One of them didn't make it. The other didn't last very long either. I decided to get betta instead.

A 10 gallon was over welding at the time. So I bought a all in one 5 gallon kit. I put it on my desk. Knowing nothing about fish I cycled the filter for 2 days then added my fish. It was overcrowded: 1 betta, 2 snails, 6 ghost shrimp, 1 Chinese algea eater, 1 african dwarf frog, 4 guppies, 25 endlers, 6 neon tetras. It was a nightmare.

Dint worry it fixed now. It didn't stay like that for long. One thing led to another...... So now.
Tank size: 10 gallon
Filter: tetra whisper 10i
Heater: preset for 10 gallon tanks
Fish: 4 female bettas, 1 female guppy, 1 Otto catfish, 1 african dwarf frog, 2 ghost shrimp
Additional info:
This is tank is planted. The nitrate cycle is complete, everything is perfect according to my freshwater master kit. Has been running since may.

Tank size: 10 gallons
Filter: tetra whisper 3i (with modifications)
Heater: idk, but there's a heater.
Fish: 4 male bettas
Additional info:
THIS TANK IS DIVIDED!!! Has been running since September. Nitrates and ammonia and nitrites in check.

Tank size: 5 gallons
Filter: homemade sponge filter using a pump for 10 gallon tanks
Heater: top fin.
Fish: 1 male betta, 1 Otto catfish
Additional info:
This tank has been reused many times. I got this tank in May, but it has gone through about 4 nitrate cycles. Nitrates and stuff is good.

Water conditioner: aquasafe plus
Water source: bathroom shower
Substrate: gravel

Also subscribe to me on youtube, link In signature.

:welcome:
Welcome to AA!! We are glad to have you!​

Quite the list of tanks you have there, and you have definitely umped in head first! We are glad to have you around to help folks out and continue to learn as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom