Setting up 1st real tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blsnelling

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. My 14 year old daughter and I are in the process of setting up a 90G aquarium that we bought used. It was previously used as a salt water reef setup. This is our first large aquarium. She currently has a 20G tank with a HOB on her dresser. Despite our fish ignorance, we have done very well with it. We have over stocked it, purposely forcing ourselves into an upgrade:D

So far, the tank has been thoroughly cleaned and the overflow removed. I will be using stand pipes from the bottom drilled bulkheads. I ordered an Eheim 2217 last night. I've added 75# of new gravel. I'll be installing 48" of bubble wand and 2 air stones. All plants will be artificial in this tank.

Today I've been researching about fishless tank cycling. Sadly, I just replaced and disposed of the filter from out 20G HOB just last night. It was filthy...just what I need to seed the new tank. By the time I realized that I could use it, it had already dried out. It will be a few days yet before I begin cycling the new tank, so I'm think the new filter may have sufficient bacteria in it by then. What about adding some of the gravel from that tank to the new one.

I'm a regular forum user and enjoy enteracting with those of similiar interests. I look forward to your feedback and suggestions.

Here's my daughter and the "new tank.
IMG_0183.jpg

Back
Top Bottom