Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

setting up a 10g, suggestions?

Hello everyone!
I am new here. My friend just gave me his 10g he wasn't using and I want to set it up (fresh water) and am currently looking into different species. This will be my first tank so I'm pretty new at this. I am thinking I want a couple of chiclids. I know they are aggressive, so I wouldn't have anyone else in there besides them, and because its small, I'm thinking only 3. I want something with impressive colors but something that is also fairly hearty. Any suggestions?

Old 09-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerRuth View Post
Hello everyone!
I am new here. My friend just gave me his 10g he wasn't using and I want to set it up (fresh water) and am currently looking into different species. This will be my first tank so I'm pretty new at this. I am thinking I want a couple of chiclids. I know they are aggressive, so I wouldn't have anyone else in there besides them, and because its small, I'm thinking only 3. I want something with impressive colors but something that is also fairly hearty. Any suggestions?
Unfortunately that aquarium is way too small for chiclids. I would recommend neon tetras. They have a very pretty color. They school so you need at least five. Then you could have some guppies or swordtails.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiken5968 View Post

Unfortunately that aquarium is way too small for chiclids. I would recommend neon tetras. They have a very pretty color. They school so you need at least five. Then you could have some guppies or swordtails.
Oh ok, thanks for the advice, that sounds like a great combo
Old 09-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

Oh ok, thanks for the advice, that sounds like a great combo
Have you ever had an aquarium before? If not you may want to do some research on the nitrogen cycle.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #5

I did as a child, that doesn't really count since my parents maintained it. I am a marine biology major, so I.am well versed on that sort of thing. I know a little bit about taking care of fish but not as much as I would like, so I will be doing my fair share of research on it. My tank wont be set up for a couple of weeks anyway, I need to get a filter and decide on my fish
Old 09-08-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I did as a child, that doesn't really count since my parents maintained it. I am a marine biology major, so I.am well versed on that sort of thing. I know a little bit about taking care of fish but not as much as I would like, so I will be doing my fair share of research on it. My tank wont be set up for a couple of weeks anyway, I need to get a filter and decide on my fish
Glad to hear it. If you do get live breeders like guppies or swordtails, keep in mind that you should have all males, or 2 or three females to one male.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can get a decent filter from Walmart for not too much.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #8

Awesome, thanks for the advice!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your welcome. Just be sure to let your tank run with no fish for a few weeks. To get the nitrogen cycle going. You can add a little fish food to help it start. It would be a good idea to get a test kit too.

When the nitrogen cycle is started you shouldn't have any ammonia in your tank.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiken5968 View Post
Your welcome. Just be sure to let your tank run with no fish for a few weeks. To get the nitrogen cycle going. You can add a little fish food to help it start. It would be a good idea to get a test kit too.

When the nitrogen cycle is started you shouldn't have any ammonia in your tank.
Yeah, I was definitely planning on doing that. By the way, can you tell.me what KH is and will the test kit come with stuff to test that level?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com