Skimmy here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skimmy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello - I'm Skimmy just trying to start and maintain our first aquarium. 10 gallons and already having problems. Could not bring heat down below 90 and several neon tetras died. :( Trying to adjust Topfin heater. Any suggestions? Remaining two red tetras are hiding and not eating. Maybe they are afraid?

Brought temperature down

I brought the temperature down by pouring in cold water because I had some room to do so. Then I poured in safe liquid. Temperature came down to 82 and I believe it will come down a little more as I turned know all the way counterclockwise and then adjusted slightly clockwise. The two remaining red tetras are just stationary in middle of tank. When I come to the tank they run away and hide. Even if I put food in they do not eat it. Food falls to bottom of tank and they are not going down there and getting it. When I leave tank area, they come back out into middle of tank and hover there with slight movement, sortof swimming a little, not much. Feel terrible. :(

I'd try to get the temp down to 78. Whenever you lower temps do it gradually..... around 2 degrees an hour.

Did you have the heater crank all the way up or something?

Didn't know

Hi - The Topfin heater is not easy to use, not digital. There was no way for me to tell because the temperature was not showing. I think the heater is defective. I have a small temperature gauge which I am reading. I want to get a better heater. I am trying to bring temp. down more. Will the two remaining tetra fish ever eat again. Every time i go over to the tank, they run and hide and will not eat anything I put in. I cannot find the one remaining deceased tetra in the tank. This might be upsetting them.

It's fine if it isn't digital. As long as it isn't defective you should be fine by adjusting it slightly above the lowest setting to get your base. It takes a little patience when you are lowering the temp as much as you are trying to.

Id look around good for the missing/dead neon so it doesn't foul your water. The other fish could just be stressed out right now from the high temp then the temp swing when you lowered it. That's assuming you don't have anything else going on such as diseased fish, an uncycled tank, or source water issues.

Found missing fish

I found the missing fish. The temperature is coming down slowly. Very quiet in tank with only two hiding tetras. When should I add more fish? What kind would you suggest for 10 gallons. Thanks.

What does your water test out at...... ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?

What test kit are you using?

Is your tank cycled?

My tank

My 10 gallon tank water was tested at PetSmart and seemed ok. When I was cooling the water I put in cold water and then some SafeStart for the water. The two remaining red minor tetras are hiding and will not come out or eat for two full days. :fish2: I am worried about them. The water temperature is down this morning to 70 and I am now trying to get it back up to 75 by barely moving the knob clockwise. I do not like the heater because it is difficult to use. I am going by thermometer gauge, not heater gauge. I read that schooling fish feel scared when not in a group. So I am considering getting three neon tetras and possibly another red minor tetra along with a Pleco for eating algae. Altogether that would be 7 fish for a 10 gallon. Might be too many fish. Will get water tested again at PetSmart on Thursday. What do you think about the two red minor fish who are hiding and not eating. Feel so bad because they were fine when i first put them in swimming around nicely and eating. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. :)

Hello - I'm Skimmy just trying to start and maintain our first aquarium. 10 gallons and already having problems. Could not bring heat down below 90 and several neon tetras died. :( Trying to adjust Topfin heater. Any suggestions? Remaining two red tetras are hiding and not eating. Maybe they are afraid?

I have never had a heater problem my tanks are always in the 70-75 range check the package again it could of been a mess up by the manufacturers that made the heater or they might of put the wrong heater in stead of the one you wanted to get

It's a good idea to get an API master test kit and test the water yourself. How long have you had the tank set up? Did you cycle it before adding fish? I ask because you're wanting to add more fish.

Fish Tank new

I have had the fish tank only a few days completely set up with filter, heater and treated water, thermometer and decor. Will be buying test kits Thursday. Two minor red tetras are coming out now when I am not in the room. As soon as they see me enter the room, they scramble and hide behind grass. Maybe if I add some more tetras they will join them in swimming and having fun. Don't seem to be eating.

If your tank is only a few days old it isn't cycled and you will essentially be doing a fish in cycle. Google nitrogen cycle. There's sites that will walk you through what you need to do. If it's still confusing we can help you out further.

Buy an API Freshwater Master test kit because you will need to test your water every day or 2 so you can track the progress of your cycle.

As a general bit of advice you should probably change 25-33% of your tank water every other day until you can get a test kit and check what it's doing. This will keep ammonia and nitrites low. Adding more fish to an uncycled tank without frequent water changes will more than likely kill your fish. I wouldn't add anymore fish until your tank is cycled or until you get a test kit and even then I wouldn't add more than a couple more in your size tank. The more fish you add the faster your water will deteriorate.

Yes

Yes that sounds right. Will get the kit tomorrow and follow directions. It was assembled on Saturday 16th. Fish went in on Monday 18th. Problem with heater which I have since adjusted and figured out how to work. Two red minor tetra come out when I am not there. When I am in the room they run and hide behind grass. Poor guys. Will follow your advise. Thank you.

They just need to get used to the tank and settle in.

When you do the API nitrate test you have to shake the heck out of the dropper bottle. I mean literally bang it against your hand or a table or it'll show a false reading. That's the one downside of the nitrate test.

Thanks.

Thanks. Will keep in touch after I go to PetSmart tomorrow. Very knowledgeable people there. The woman there told me she sold me two males, but it could be that it was a male and a female because only one fish comes out occasionally and the other never comes out. Could be pregnant.

Good Water

Water tested A-OK at Petsmart. Bought another serpae tetra (red minor) and three neon tetras and one catfish. The two hiding serpae tetras I had came out and swam around a bit with the new fish, but then went back to their hiding place behind the grass. New serpae is alone with three neon tetras, instead of with other two hiding serpaes. I'm afraid serpae tetras will harm neon tetras overnight. All in all things look good at this point.

Did they tell you what the readings were? If you aren't showing nitrates you aren't cycled.

Not sure what kind of test they use.

Hi Skimmy,

There are a few things you can do now which can save headaches and dead fish later.

Read up here with these articles and links in the articles have other useful information as well.

This a a really thorough article full of basics and things the fish store people don't always know about.

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

These are 2 similar yet different articles for the same subject. Both are useful prepared by different members

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Here is the link for a few other interesting articles

Articles - Aquarium Advice

A couple big things is that you need to know what your water conditions are because the nitrification cycle (explained in the Guide article) is time consuming with a fish in process.

Please do not add any additional fish until the cycle is complete. You have enough. Edit addition: Enough for doing a fish in cycle, not necessarily for the group they will later enjoy.

What decorations and plants do you have.

I have a group of Serpaes and they very much are cautious until they can feel comfortable. If you add more fish which might make them feel more comfortable initially, having a large bioload on the tank is more difficult because it will require more water changes and monitoring until the tank is cycled. Extra work to help prevent these guys from being injured by unsafe water parameters.

You should do as Autumnsky and King Fisher say . I can't believe you got more fish when it is clear your tank is not cycled . I don't mean to be offensive , but I have been following this thread and it seems like you are not listening to the advice you are getting from this forum . I can tell you for sure that the members on here , that have been here a while , know more than any Petsmart employee out there . I may get some negative feedback on this post , but I feel like you need a kick in the can so you can get your tank going and enjoy it . I hope you take this in the spirit it was intended .

Back
Top Bottom