Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Skimmy here.

Hello - I'm Skimmy just trying to start and maintain our first aquarium. 10 gallons and already having problems. Could not bring heat down below 90 and several neon tetras died. Trying to adjust Topfin heater. Any suggestions? Remaining two red tetras are hiding and not eating. Maybe they are afraid?

Old 02-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Removing the heater is the first step.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #3

Brought temperature down

I brought the temperature down by pouring in cold water because I had some room to do so. Then I poured in safe liquid. Temperature came down to 82 and I believe it will come down a little more as I turned know all the way counterclockwise and then adjusted slightly clockwise. The two remaining red tetras are just stationary in middle of tank. When I come to the tank they run away and hide. Even if I put food in they do not eat it. Food falls to bottom of tank and they are not going down there and getting it. When I leave tank area, they come back out into middle of tank and hover there with slight movement, sortof swimming a little, not much. Feel terrible.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd try to get the temp down to 78. Whenever you lower temps do it gradually..... around 2 degrees an hour.

Did you have the heater crank all the way up or something?
Old 02-19-2019, 11:12 AM   #5

Didn't know

Hi - The Topfin heater is not easy to use, not digital. There was no way for me to tell because the temperature was not showing. I think the heater is defective. I have a small temperature gauge which I am reading. I want to get a better heater. I am trying to bring temp. down more. Will the two remaining tetra fish ever eat again. Every time i go over to the tank, they run and hide and will not eat anything I put in. I cannot find the one remaining deceased tetra in the tank. This might be upsetting them.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's fine if it isn't digital. As long as it isn't defective you should be fine by adjusting it slightly above the lowest setting to get your base. It takes a little patience when you are lowering the temp as much as you are trying to.

Id look around good for the missing/dead neon so it doesn't foul your water. The other fish could just be stressed out right now from the high temp then the temp swing when you lowered it. That's assuming you don't have anything else going on such as diseased fish, an uncycled tank, or source water issues.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #7

Found missing fish

I found the missing fish. The temperature is coming down slowly. Very quiet in tank with only two hiding tetras. When should I add more fish? What kind would you suggest for 10 gallons. Thanks.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:10 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

What does your water test out at...... ammonia, nitrites, nitrates?

What test kit are you using?

Is your tank cycled?
Old 02-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #9

My tank

My 10 gallon tank water was tested at PetSmart and seemed ok. When I was cooling the water I put in cold water and then some SafeStart for the water. The two remaining red minor tetras are hiding and will not come out or eat for two full days. I am worried about them. The water temperature is down this morning to 70 and I am now trying to get it back up to 75 by barely moving the knob clockwise. I do not like the heater because it is difficult to use. I am going by thermometer gauge, not heater gauge. I read that schooling fish feel scared when not in a group. So I am considering getting three neon tetras and possibly another red minor tetra along with a Pleco for eating algae. Altogether that would be 7 fish for a 10 gallon. Might be too many fish. Will get water tested again at PetSmart on Thursday. What do you think about the two red minor fish who are hiding and not eating. Feel so bad because they were fine when i first put them in swimming around nicely and eating. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmy View Post
Hello - I'm Skimmy just trying to start and maintain our first aquarium. 10 gallons and already having problems. Could not bring heat down below 90 and several neon tetras died. Trying to adjust Topfin heater. Any suggestions? Remaining two red tetras are hiding and not eating. Maybe they are afraid?

I have never had a heater problem my tanks are always in the 70-75 range check the package again it could of been a mess up by the manufacturers that made the heater or they might of put the wrong heater in stead of the one you wanted to get

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com