Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-15-2008, 12:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Small fish in a Big pond

Hey guys,
So I'm working with my dad at his office and I want to get him something to make his office look a little more....Lively.... Anyways i was thinking of getting him an Aquarium for his/our office, but I know he wont take care of them as much as needed. So i was wondering if there is any kind of "Low Maintenance" aquarium or system for an aquarium.

Thanks for the help,

-Dorie

Old 07-15-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to the site!
I'm a "saltie" so I don't know of any type of "low" maint tanks. I'm not too sure if there really is one, but I'll have to digress to other's personal experience.
You may want to post your questions in either the SW or FW getting started sections.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Welcome aboard. Hope you find what you are looking for.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I keep a small, 2.5g tank (link in my signature) in my cube at work. It's fun, takes minimal work, and really makes my co-workers smile. If you have the room, a larger 5g or 10g would work too. Small, simple fish take very little maintenance, and live plants add to the excitement. I think I spend maybe 10-15 min/week on my 2.5g tank. I definitely suggest that you go for it!
CatatonicBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had an Eclipse 5g hexagon on my desk at work for a while. The nice thing about the Eclipse type tanks is that the filter is integrated in the hood and is almost silent, which makes it nice when there are other people sharing the space. You can get the Eclipse or similar kits at Walmart or Petco/Petsmart. They don't come with a heater and are too small for goldfish, so a heater would be a good addition. Also, switch out the incandescent bulb for a screw in compact fluorescent and you can grow some low light plants. As far as fish, a betta or a small school of small tetras would be fine and easy to care for.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree with the fish selection. Neons and Guppies are great fish for the smaller tanks. Stay away from gold fish, as they really need room to swim and grow.
CatatonicBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would not use neons as they many times dont live long. For gupppies in a small tank I would just get males so you have good color and no reproduction
Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Ziggy953's_Wife
My husband and I have a 10 gal (I think it maybe 5gal) tank that we just put LIVE sand, saltwater, a few live rocks and one Damsel in it and its pretty low maintenance. we do about a 10% water change about every month or so and use a magnet to clean the glass when it needs it. The tank was from walmart, I believe, and we just used the lights and regular filter that came with the tank minus the carbon inserts. Also, Damsels come in all kinds of colors and if you did a 10gal you could probably keep 2. Also if you do go with Saltwater you should paint the back of the tank a light blue color (we used a spray paint by Krylon called Peakaboo Blue) you can see it if you click the link on my signature, it's our big tank we are doing. But all in all there is really no real "Low Maintenance Tank." And we do have others so it would be your call if you wanted to go that route.

But if I were you and wanted to go Fresh Water I would do maybe a small tank with a beta but again I would paint the back of the tank first, I like it and I heard somewhere that painting the back of the tank black or blue is calming for the fish.

Best of Luck!
Ziggy953's_Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hey guys, my friend baught one of these and he told me to check it out...Hi-Q USA Zero Water Exchange Aqarium System what do you guys think about this? I think that its a great concept because I know my dad won't be taking care of these fish, and I can only come in every so often. Anyways Feedback would be nice.

-Dorie
Old 07-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Welcome to AA!

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pond

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com