Small fish in a Big pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dorie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys,
So I'm working with my dad at his office and I want to get him something to make his office look a little more....Lively.... Anyways i was thinking of getting him an Aquarium for his/our office, but I know he wont take care of them as much as needed. So i was wondering if there is any kind of "Low Maintenance" aquarium or system for an aquarium.

Thanks for the help,

-Dorie

Welcome to the site!
I'm a "saltie" so I don't know of any type of "low" maint tanks. I'm not too sure if there really is one, but I'll have to digress to other's personal experience.
You may want to post your questions in either the SW or FW getting started sections.

I keep a small, 2.5g tank (link in my signature) in my cube at work. It's fun, takes minimal work, and really makes my co-workers smile. If you have the room, a larger 5g or 10g would work too. Small, simple fish take very little maintenance, and live plants add to the excitement. I think I spend maybe 10-15 min/week on my 2.5g tank. I definitely suggest that you go for it! :)

I had an Eclipse 5g hexagon on my desk at work for a while. The nice thing about the Eclipse type tanks is that the filter is integrated in the hood and is almost silent, which makes it nice when there are other people sharing the space. You can get the Eclipse or similar kits at Walmart or Petco/Petsmart. They don't come with a heater and are too small for goldfish, so a heater would be a good addition. Also, switch out the incandescent bulb for a screw in compact fluorescent and you can grow some low light plants. As far as fish, a betta or a small school of small tetras would be fine and easy to care for.

I agree with the fish selection. Neons and Guppies are great fish for the smaller tanks. Stay away from gold fish, as they really need room to swim and grow.

I would not use neons as they many times dont live long. For gupppies in a small tank I would just get males so you have good color and no reproduction

My husband and I have a 10 gal (I think it maybe 5gal) tank that we just put LIVE sand, saltwater, a few live rocks and one Damsel in it and its pretty low maintenance. we do about a 10% water change about every month or so and use a magnet to clean the glass when it needs it. The tank was from walmart, I believe, and we just used the lights and regular filter that came with the tank minus the carbon inserts. Also, Damsels come in all kinds of colors and if you did a 10gal you could probably keep 2. Also if you do go with Saltwater you should paint the back of the tank a light blue color (we used a spray paint by Krylon called Peakaboo Blue) you can see it if you click the link on my signature, it's our big tank we are doing. But all in all there is really no real "Low Maintenance Tank." And we do have others so it would be your call if you wanted to go that route.

But if I were you and wanted to go Fresh Water I would do maybe a small tank with a beta but again I would paint the back of the tank first, I like it and I heard somewhere that painting the back of the tank black or blue is calming for the fish.

Best of Luck!

Hey guys, my friend baught one of these and he told me to check it out...Hi-Q USA Zero Water Exchange Aqarium System what do you guys think about this? I think that its a great concept because I know my dad won't be taking care of these fish, and I can only come in every so often. Anyways Feedback would be nice.

-Dorie

Back
Top Bottom