Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2017, 10:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

So I got this fish, right.

So I (my 7yr old did, actually) got a goldfish from my sister in law two weeks ago for his birthday. He named it Goldie. Cute right? What wasn't cute was the bowl, stupid little pineapple under the sea and a miserable looking little plastic plant. We had a couple near death experiences in the bowl the first couple of days. I am not a person that can receive a living thing and just allow it to die and be done with it, so I started reading, and reading, and reading. Ive never owned a fish in my life.(I'm actually quite surprised someone saw it fit that I be responsible for a human being) Mostly because I watched my sister flush several down the toilet as a child and the whole idea of a disposable pet seemed kinda dumb. In a panic went to the pet store bought and MOST of the necessary startup equipment and went to work. I'm still reading and researching and trying to fix the things I do wrong as I go without killing this poor animal (it's only been about 12 days) which lead me to this site. And a sudden realization that unbeknownst to me me I am now a "fish person". Pretty sure it's an oranda but can't really tell the difference between a couple of the breeds but as I read I learn a little more every time. I HAD NO IDEA what cool little fish these guys are, and am hoping that I can get him/her through these first crucial weeks without Goldie winding belly up when I get home from work. All off this, long story short is how I wound up here. I've read lots of threads on lots of forums looking for situations similar to mine and found that most had identical tales but I've found some of the most helpful and supportive threads in this group. So now here I am, with two firsts in my life first time fish owner and now forum member.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Welcome to the forum!

Pretty much everyone here has great information, so dont be afraid to ask if you problems.

The only potential problem that i could see is that ammonia might build up becuase the tank wouldn't be cycled.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Exactly why I joined. I had no idea about cycling but read ecrvery long and informative thread that made me very hopeful that everything will turn ok with aggressive water changes and testing. So I'm monitoring the fish closely and have a plan in place. So far so good but it's only been a few hours and the fish seems to be adjusting fairly well.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thats great news, and yes large water changes will combat the amonia levels, just curious what is the size of the tank? Also i'd love to see the goldfish
Old 10-11-2017, 11:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

It's a twenty gallon basic petstore starter tank. I don't plan on putting any more fish in with him/her but I do plan down the road to just get a bigger tank and start it the right way. I'll be posting progress pics if everything goes well ����
Old 10-11-2017, 11:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Sounds great!
Old 10-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Here's Goldie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1274.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	304349  
Old 10-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Looks beutiful! Nice job rescuing it.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:55 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hope so. Think I still have a little ways to go before it's happy but I'm hoping I'm on the right track.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1275.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	304353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1273.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	304354  

Name:	IMG_1277.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	243.8 KB
ID:	304355  
Old 10-13-2017, 06:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the club! It's great to see the occasional responsible pet owner come into the hobby because of goldfish

Tags
first fish, fish, goldfish, new aquarium, oranda

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com