So, it's been about 8 years...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ares

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I figured that I'd introduce myself since it's been about 8 years since I was last on the site. So... hi.

I have a 46 gallon bowfront reef tank. We had a minor, well major catastrophe a few months back when my light died and I was so frustrated I made the stupid decision of not replacing it (luckily there wasn't too much life in the tank). Within the last few weeks I've replace with 234 watts of T-5 lighting and am trying to get everything balanced and happy again.

The tank is currently holding about 3-4 inches of sand, a lot of live rock (really have no idea how much) a few hardly little fish and some nassarius snails that all somehow survived my horrible neglect. As soon as I get my nitrates down to where they should be I'll start making her beautiful again.

Welcome back! Try doing 20% water changes every other day to help bring the nitrates down. A skimmer would help in the long run if you don't have one already.

Welcome back! Try doing 20% water changes every other day to help bring the nitrates down. A skimmer would help in the long run if you don't have one already.

That's what I'm currently doing. When I first checked them the vial looked like I had just given blood. I've been doing pwc's every few days of about 20% and have gotten them down to around 40 ppm so it's definitely improving. I stuck a bag of nitrazorb in the filter as well to help get it under control. My filter is the Rapids Pro PS4 so it has a built in skimmer, but it's not the greatest. Can't hurt though right... Fortunately the nitrates were the only thing out of control after a few months of just sitting.

Yeah, I'm planning on eventually getting a quality skimmer, but the new light kind of sucked the aquarium fund dry. One step at a time.

wow, didnt even know the website was 8 years old. Welcome back old timer.

Thanks for all the welcomes. It was fun to find the forums again after so long.

Back
Top Bottom