Soon to plant a 38Gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big jim

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I ended up with a boxing day sale deal to get me started. I bought a light fixture and bulbs from Home Depot to save alot of money and end up with higher wattage.
I have a couple of bags of Flourite and natural gravel.
I can't believe I forgot to buy some large buckets to rinse my gravels in. Its New Years eve and everything is shut until saturday. Sort of wanted to start the cycling today. Oh well, better not to rush.
Will keep you posted or have questions as I proceed.

I gave up on the hex tank as the guy giving it to me is very busy and I don't like what I've read about them.

if the tank hasnt been set up yet, you can rinse the gravel in your tank. thats how i rinsed the pfs in all of my tanks. its easier than using buckets... all i did was run water over it, take my hand and stir it up, then drain it with the python. i kept doing this until it was crystal clear, then filled it on up.

Thanks I did think of this but figured it might be better to rinse so I don't have to syphon, and repeat. Maybe tomorrow since I don't have anything planned. Will keep me busy

I found the fastest way to clean fluorite is to fill a bucket with water dump in the fluorite while the dust is still in the water drain it. I take out the fluorite and drain the water, repeat until all of it has been rinsed. I put it in the tank then put a plate or bowl in the bottom of the tank and slowly fill the tank. Then I wait a couple of hours and deep vacuum it and fill the tank the same way with a bowl or plate.

Another way How to Wash FLUORITE

Back
Top Bottom