Sooner who is newer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mab2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I am a new owner of a ten gallon tank. It all started last week when I overheard my sister in law talking about my niece's fish. It is a male betta and she had it in a bowl with very little care. They were talking about throwing it in the pond by their house. I told them that I would take it. The water on the bowl was putrid and I was surprised to see the fish was even alive. Knowing very little about fish I immediately changed the water and cleaned the bowl. Knowing what I do now (which is still very little) I am surprised that the above intervention didn't kill him. Any who I bought him a ten gallon tank let the filter work for a day and put him in there. A few days latter I went to the fish store in my small town to get more fish. The lady who runs the place, a sweet lady who has been in business for years told me that I could add up to 7 more fish with the betta. So I got 1 Bella shark, 2 tiger barbs, 2 clown barbs, a orange fish (she said it was a sempae? Hard to read her writing) and a bottom feeder (she wrote plex). I also used real plants, some ferns and a couple of Anubia. At first my fish were very active but I started noticing them slowing down a bit. I did some research (something I should of done before I bought the rest of the fish) and learned about the importance of cycling. So I have been testing and my levels of nitrite and ammonia were high. I did a 20 percent water change which actuallly killed one of my tigers. I added the water conditioner and kept the water in a bucket in my house for a day before adding it to the tank. My question is how often should I perform water changes? I have heard conflicting reports on on doing it too much and I am kinda gun-shy after the tiger incident. There is just so much information and misinformation out there it is a little overwhelming. Appreciate the help and looking forward to some good advice.

Welcome to the Forum!

It was very kind of you to intervene and rescue the fish.

That said, you've been given horrible stocking advice by the lfs. Not unusual, it's happened to the vast majority of us.

You need to immediately return all of the fish except the betta, for many reasons. The first being the tank is not cycled, the second being the fish are not compatible for that tank. The betta is most likely in a weakened state due to how it was previously kept. Plus, the majority of male bettas are not good community fish.

Tiger barbs are very aggressive. They sometimes require species only tanks to curb their nature.

Not sure what a "bella shark" is, but most of the shark species require a minimum of 75 gallons.

Clown barbs are very active and grow rather large, requiring a 50 gallon tank minimum.

The serpae needs to be kept in groups of 6 or more and will require a larger tank than you have. I'd recommend a 30, having had this species before.

The pleco, if a common pleco, could reach 12 inches long.

Please return the fish at your earliest opportunity.

Thanks for the quick response. I had a typo on the shark, it's bala. There seems to be two schools of thought on the cycling with fish and cycling with out. I hear people say you need to have fish for a good cycle and then I hear stories of people who have cycled without fish for months. My plan is to upgrade to a 30 gallon tank within the next few months, but from what it sounds like I will still have to return the fish. It is kind of frustrating because of all the wrong info that I received. I am just as much to blame for not conducting my research prior to purchasing. Do you have any recommendations of which fish I should get for the ten gallon and when I should get them? Thanks again and keep the comments coming.

Hi Moppet! Good for you for researching to help your fish, albeit somewhat late. But you can rectify that easily enough by returning the fish. And keep coming back here, for more info as you progress in your hobby, cause it sure looks like you are going to be hooked. I never meant to be hooked either; just trying to help my daughter out and get her tank set up for her, but somehow I ended up here to solve a cloudy water problem (thank goodness for here). These folks are so knowledgeable and friendly, and willing to help the fish. Welcome to AA.

Thanks for the warm welcome. It is funny what one fish can start. I have a lot of stressors in my life, a new baby and I am in nursing school. I thought that having fish would help with some of that stress. Turns out that it has caused more. I know though that once I get the tank right then I will be able to enjoy the fish and the tank.

Welcome! Glad you found us and im sure so is your beta. He will enjoy the 10 and the natural plants will give a nice contrast to his colors as well as help the stability of the tank. One the filter is completely cycled there are many small fish you can add as friends for him as well as inverts like snails or shrimp. A good general reference on a variety of fish is www.liveaquaria.com and I love www.planetcatfish.com for all things catfish. Look for fish that are compatible with your beta and can live in a 10gal. I suggest a school of neon tetras (6 or 7) and a few red cherry shrimp but that's just me. The main thing is to make sure your fish are happy and you will be happy with them! Enjoy

Thanks Ag, I really like the neon tetras too. Unfortunately the shop I bought the other fish from was out. Thanks for the links they will come in handy.

No prob. Talk to the store and find out what day they get the neons in and and go get your fish 3 or 4 days later. That way they will be recovered from the shipping and the ones that aren't going to recover will have already died off. You'll have a much higher survival rate this way

Thanks Ag, I really like the neon tetras too. Unfortunately the shop I bought the other fish from was out. Thanks for the links they will come in handy.

Good luck with your 10 gal and it's great you chose to save the betta. Lynda B is correct about the stock ... unfortunately those particular fish just are not appropriate for a 10 gal and in the numbers you got. In all honesty ... I'm shocked they sold you those fish since they all ... except for the pleco ... should be in groups of 6 as they are shoaling fish. Bala sharks by themselves really need a 125 gal minimum do to their size and activity.

Neons would work .. another fish you could consider aside from Neons are harlequin rasboras.

Yeah I noticed that the bala seemed cramped. He just keeps swimming in the edge of the glass. I really like him but I don't think I am ready for a 125 gallon tank ( money wise or experience). I like the barbs as well but they are nippers and not good for my betta. I was more worried about the betta being aggressive but found out the barbs are the ones giving him problems. Thanks red for the welcome.

Back
Top Bottom