Sort of new. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keimaxbode

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just realized I hadn't introduced myself.

I've been lurking on the forum for several months but not really saying much as didn't know enough to contribute. I started with a $15 garage sale 29G, found out I couldn't keep the fish I like in it so ran across another $15, this time a 55G backyard reject so upgraded and have since determined still can't keep the fish I like in that so finally found a cheap 100G set-up on CL - was supposed to be a 125 but when measured, was only 100G so looks like there will be another upgrade down the road if all goes well.

I've pretty much made most of the newby mistakes, have learned a lot from everyone here on AA and hope to learn a lot more. I'm currently in the process of cleaning, repairing scratches, ordering more equipment, thinking about stocking for the 100G and trying to be patient.

I'm looking forward to posting a build thread and hope several will follow because I will need a lot of advice on everything since I really didn't get into much equipment with the 29 and 55. I'm very nervous about that. :confused:

Its great to have such a wonderful, supportive group of people sharing this amazing hobby!
:fish1:

Nice. A lot of people would be happy with a 100 gallon tank. I spent a fair amount of money in my new 55 gallon FW. I'm having high hopes for this tank. Good luck with your tank!

Thanks! I didn't mean to imply smaller systems were in any way inferior. I just want to keep fish that require a 125 or larger system so had planned to upgrade to that size. I made another stupid mistake when I trusted the information in the ad and didn't measure the tank when I picked it up. I'm not good at judging sizes and was focused on the condition of the tank and equipment so much that I didn't notice it was only 5 ft. long instead of 6 ft. I'm more used to seeing either 4ft and 6ft tanks.

Oh well, live and learn for sure. It was the only complete set-up I could afford and the amount of rock I got was worth the price so I will just plan to start with juveniles, which should give me at least a year to find a larger system and will have more experience by then. I should be able to sell this tank and stand for at least what I have in it and maybe more after cleaning and refinishing. Thats what I'm hoping anyway.

I have seen many, many gorgeous smaller set-ups, especially reef, but I don't think I'm ready to go reef yet unless it would be mushrooms and other corals that are easily maintained with very basic requirements.

Sounds to me like you've got a great start in this hobby! I basically started the same way, a hand-me-down custom 135, with a canister filter and a crappy 2 bulb t12 hood.
New that I wanted salt even though, I've never even had a freshwater tank.
7+ years later, I have a beautiful 180g full reef system ( Craigslist score,but had to build overflows and all filtration) that my whole family, is proud of!
I am also new to AA, to have this site to help steer you on the right path, from the start, as opposed to trusting the guys at the various LFS, who are generally out to just sell stuff, until you develop some friendships, should help you immensely
Good luck in your saltwater endeavor, Ohh...by the way...careful it's addictive!!

Back
Top Bottom