Starting my FIRST saltwater tank!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riceymo91

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have decided to start my first Nano salt water tank. I just received a Fluval Edge 12gallon and have MILLIONS of questions!!!

The tank came with both day and night LEDs

For starters, this is what i planned on doing:
-Use whatever filter it came with
-purchase bio-active live argonite sand
-purchase Nutri-seaWater live saltwater
-purchase Live rocks.
-purchase pump and thermometer

wanted to just put the sand in, place the rocks down and fill it with the saltwater. i know i have to wait for the cloudiness to clear afterwards. am i missing anything? how am i doing so far?

Skip the live sand as its not really live it's just wet and sold for twice as much money. I'd also skip the nutri seawater and just get your own ro/di unit and salt mix to make your own. You'll also want a refractometer to measure salinity

thank you for the reply @bigredsreefs10.
but i read on a lot of other forums and threads that the live sand and water along with the rocks will start the cycle off better especially with smaller tanks.

But wether or not i get them, do i have the right idea going into this? i know i have to just cycle it for 2-4 weeks and test the water every week. Thank you again

Sounds good so far but I'd put the rocks in and scape it as you want and then the sand. This way if you get fish that burrow, they won't shift and trap the fish

Thank you for the reply Bribo12.

also, should i put corals or anemones? im trying to decide which one to go with. i know thats later on, but just wanted a heads up. Thank you

welcome to AA , look forward to seeing your tank once it's up and going
a anemone will do better in a well established tank , after your cycle you can start to add coral but be sure your lighting can handle it as for your cycle live sand is a waist of money dry sand is just as good as it will become live over time , for cycling all you would need is a deli shrimp place it in a stocking to keep the decomposing shrimp from making a mess.
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Thanks for the Reply 54seaweed.
Now, is the shrimp mandatory? o_O i thought i would just put the sand in and add the water along with the live rocks and just wait lol

i will be placing the sand and rocks along with the water tomorrow and will definitely put up some pics. am i suppose to fill the water all the way up? Hope i can find the right size rocks to place inside.

and also, typically how strong does the light need to be. i know i might need to upgrade them, mine are stock 7600K white LED and 4 Blue LEDs.

the shrimp as it decomposes is your ammonia source it will also help start your cycle
that live sand is worthless as its just wet sand that sits on a shelf nothing in it is live anyways just introduces crud to the tank its 3x the price don't waist your money that money saved can be put towards your first fish . dry sand is cheaper and will become live over time

the shrimp as it decomposes is your ammonia source it will also help start your cycle
that live sand is worthless as its just wet sand that sits on a shelf nothing in it is live anyways just introduces crud to the tank its 3x the price don't waist your money that money saved can be put towards your first fish . dry sand is cheaper and will become live over time

Ahh I see, thank you!

not to be a stick in the mud but you should cycle your tank first than start adding stock and coral , there is no room for short cuts with saltwater , there is no rushing in saltwater you rush you crash your screwed no simpler way to say it ,

1x on what seaweed said. I know you want to rush into everything and be up and running how you want it, but with aquariums, they take time. Especially saltwater. There aren't many good shortcuts in this hobby either. I strongly recommend to cycle the tank before you add anything. Ammonia in any amount can be toxic to fish and corals and is an extremely painful and slow (relatively) way to die.

I know this may not be what you want to hear, but take it from a guy who was exactly like you. I did not let my tank cycle and killed everything in it, and almost quit the hobby because I was so beat down. This is the fantastic forum for advice from experts in the hobby who have seen it all. I do like your set up too. I am following your thread to see how it turns out!

1x on what seaweed said. I know you want to rush into everything and be up and running how you want it, but with aquariums, they take time. Especially saltwater. There aren't many good shortcuts in this hobby either. I strongly recommend to cycle the tank before you add anything. Ammonia in any amount can be toxic to fish and corals and is an extremely painful and slow (relatively) way to die.

I know this may not be what you want to hear, but take it from a guy who was exactly like you. I did not let my tank cycle and killed everything in it, and almost quit the hobby because I was so beat down. This is the fantastic forum for advice from experts in the hobby who have seen it all. I do like your set up too. I am following your thread to see how it turns out!

Understood, thank you. Hopefully everything goes well :( will keep you guys updated!

Back
Top Bottom