Starting new 5 gal. tank soon :-)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Debbie V

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had fish many years ago. I currently have a male crown tail beta in one bowl and a new goldfish (butterfly? Is about 2.5" L with a long flowy tail) in another. Tried combing them and looks like beta took a nibble. Beta has been lethargic with dull coloring for a mth, barely eats. I do weekly full water changes & feed pellets. Goldfish now has white slime coming from where betts nibbled & it's turning dark. Going to look for smaller pellets today and maybe treatment for ich. Want to get them well bf tank arrives. New to cycling, setting up tank...hoping there are good instructions w kit. Wish me luck. :)

I had fish many years ago. I currently have a male crown tail beta in one bowl and a new goldfish (butterfly? Is about 2.5" L with a long flowy tail) in another. Tried combing them and looks like beta took a nibble. Beta has been lethargic with dull coloring for a mth, barely eats. I do weekly full water changes & feed pellets. Goldfish now has white slime coming from where betts nibbled & it's turning dark. Going to look for smaller pellets today and maybe treatment for ich. Want to get them well bf tank arrives. New to cycling, setting up tank...hoping there are good instructions w kit. Wish me luck. :)

I wouldn't put them together in a tank if that's what you're saying... Betas are territorial, and will usually not get along with other fish. Especially fish with long fins or colorful ones that look like another beta. Some betas can live peacefully in a community tank, but never put two betas in the same tank. They're called Siamese fighting fish for a reason! :) would be fine in a 5 gallon tank with a heater (they are tropical fish) I would personally get a bigger tank for the goldfish. At least 10 gallons, although a five gallon tank is better than a bowl. Goldfish have a big bioload (meaning they poop a lot) so they need frequent water changes. I wouldn't do a 100% water change. Maybe 30% every week or more often. Make sure you cycle your tank before you add your fish. There are some good articles on here about cycling. Good luck!

You're going to need a 20 gallon long with heavy filtration for the goldfish, and a 5 gallon heated for the betta.
On my one gallon betta tank, I change 75% of the water every day. On the goldfish tank, you're going to need to change the water completely at least 2-3 times a day if you want it to live. I don't want to sound harsh, but bowls are no place to keep a goldfish.

For now I would go buy a liquid test kit, they are about $25 at petsmart. If you can't get a big tank and an even bigger filter for the goldfish, I would give him/her to someone with a pond. It will be much happier there. I know mine are very happy in our pond.

I would research the proper care of bettas and fancy goldfish in the meantime.

You're going to need a 20 gallon long with heavy filtration for the goldfish, and a 5 gallon heated for the betta.
On my one gallon betta tank, I change 75% of the water every day. On the goldfish tank, you're going to need to change the water completely at least 2-3 times a day if you want it to live. I don't want to sound harsh, but bowls are no place to keep a goldfish.

For now I would go buy a liquid test kit, they are about $25 at petsmart. If you can't get a big tank and an even bigger filter for the goldfish, I would give him/her to someone with a pond. It will be much happier there. I know mine are very happy in our pond.

I would research the proper care of bettas and fancy goldfish in the meantime.

100% water change for the goldfish tank two or three times a day? I don't think you'd need to do that... I'd clean the betta tank maybe once or twice a week 30% or so... I do agree you'd need a bigger tank for the goldfish and a strong filter.

100% water change for the goldfish tank two or three times a day? I don't think you'd need to do that... I'd clean the betta tank maybe once or twice a week 30% or so... I do agree you'd need a bigger tank for the goldfish and a strong filter.

My betta (and betta's have low bio loads) is currently in a one gallon jar till his new tank comes. It's very heavily planted with nutrient hogs, and has seeded filter media in it. Even with 50-75% water changes daily, ammonia and nitrites still get high. So imagine a goldfish, who have REALLY high bio loads in a bowl. You would need to change the water 100% 2-3 times a day just to keep ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels low, mostly likely not gone. OP I am not trying to bash you or anything, we just want to help and that way you know what's best for the fish.

My betta (and betta's have low bio loads) is currently in a one gallon jar till his new tank comes. It's very heavily planted with nutrient hogs, and has seeded filter media in it. Even with 50-75% water changes daily, ammonia and nitrites still get high. So imagine a goldfish, who have REALLY high bio loads in a bowl. You would need to change the water 100% 2-3 times a day just to keep ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels low, mostly likely not gone. OP I am not trying to bash you or anything, we just want to help and that way you know what's best for the fish.

I thought you meant in a 20 gallon tank. Lol. Sorry. :p but yeah, a goldfish shouldn't be in a bowl at all. Im not really a fan of keeping a betta in a bowl either... Although we do have two in bowls right now. If I could, I would get them tanks... My brothers got them for their birthdays.

I thought you meant in a 20 gallon tank. Lol. Sorry. :p but yeah, a goldfish shouldn't be in a bowl at all. Im not really a fan of keeping a betta in a bowl either... Although we do have two in bowls right now. If I could, I would get them tanks... My brothers got them for their birthdays.

You can go on amazon, the large critter keepers are about $8. I think they hold three gallons. I bought a few of those for mine. Much cheaper than an actual fish tank, and they are cheaper on amazon too. Some people say they shouldn't hold water. I have a smaller one that holds water fine. Plus they won't get banged up, they'll be sitting on a shelf :lol:

You can go on amazon, the large critter keepers are about $8. I think they hold three gallons. I bought a few of those for mine. Much cheaper than an actual fish tank, and they are cheaper on amazon too. Some people say they shouldn't hold water. I have a smaller one that holds water fine. Plus they won't get banged up, they'll be sitting on a shelf :lol:

Thanks. Might just do that :)

Well being very new to the hobby a worker at a pet store actually suggested the gold fish as a tank ate for the beta. I went home after my purchased and researched good tank mates for a beta. A goldfish was a poor suggestion. Found out a little too late. And had I known they had big bio loads I would not have gotten it. I intended in having one tank. So.....now I need to figure out what to do. I think I will put the beta in the 5gallon with a heater once it arrives since he is tropical. And may (post tank cycling) add glow fish and later add a bottom feeder/tank cleaner variety. Just bought freeze dried bloodworms that I can hopefully entice my beta with so it eats something. And bought Melafix for the wounded goldfish. Hope the tanks arrives soon since cycling takes time. Currently I think I will continue to change water weekly for beta and daily or every couple days for goldfish. Even when in bowls (temporarily) you think a partial water change? Thank you!!! :)

Well being very new to the hobby a worker at a pet store actually suggested the gold fish as a tank ate for the beta. I went home after my purchased and researched good tank mates for a beta. A goldfish was a poor suggestion. Found out a little too late. And had I known they had big bio loads I would not have gotten it. I intended in having one tank. So.....now I need to figure out what to do. I think I will put the beta in the 5gallon with a heater once it arrives since he is tropical. And may (post tank cycling) add glow fish and later add a bottom feeder/tank cleaner variety. Just bought freeze dried bloodworms that I can hopefully entice my beta with so it eats something. And bought Melafix for the wounded goldfish. Hope the tanks arrives soon since cycling takes time. Currently I think I will continue to change water weekly for beta and daily or every couple days for goldfish. Even when in bowls (temporarily) you think a partial water change? Thank you!!! :)

Yes, pet store people really don't know what they are talking about. In a 5 gal tank, I would suggest a nerite snail or a couple amano shirmp, as there is not room for any other fish in there.
I have a pond, once the goldfish is healed, you can ship him/her to me if you don't have any friends with a pond. Really I would suggest doing water changes every day. It takes just a couple mins, and I am even mixing two types of water :lol: Ammonia and nitrites and nitrates will all build up and be deadly for the fish.

You could return the goldfish to the pet store. Keep in mind that you don't have to know much about animals to work at a pet store. I know that from personal experience :p I would buy an adjustable heater so you can set the right temperature. I think 75-80F is a good temperature for a betta, but I am not 100% sure, so you might want to google that. Make sure you read on a good site though, because a lot of them will tell you that you don't need a heater, a betta is fine in a bowl, and that they live in puddles in the wild (which of course is not true :p) I personally wouldn't put him in a tank with other fish because I have only ever had bad experiences with bettas in community tanks, but I know it has worked for some people, so you could try it of you want. Just be ready to remove him if need be. If you do decide to put him in a community tank (5 gallons) I wouldn't add more than 3 other fish or so with small bioloads (small tetras or something) they usually prefer to be in larger groups though, so you might not even want to do that. And you should put the betta in last, so he doesn't feel the other fish are invading his territory. I'd do a water change 2 or 3 times a week for the 5 gallon. Maybe 30% or 50%

The tetras or anything else are too active for a 5 gallon. If you want to keep a betta with other fish, 10 gallon is minimum. He would be stressed for not enough territory or room, and that would lead to fighting. The tetras may also nip the bettas fins.
IMO the temp should be at least 76, but 78-82 is much better for them :)

A lot of the time it's the betta that gets bullied by the other fish rather then vice versa

Yeah. I didn't think about the tetras being so active. I wouldn't personally put him in with other fish even in a ten gallon or bigger unless there were lots of hiding places (plants, caves, etc) anyway though.

Update:

I hv 5 gallon tank set up with a 5-15 gallon filter (after the filter that came with tank broke down). Seems the filter is a little strong for my beta & 4 golden Priscilla tetra's. So will hv to read up on baffling it. The beta went after the tetra's a little the first night but the little guys are very quick. Now the tetra's hang out at the bottom in their little school and the beta at top hanging out in the tops of the plants. All hangout in the middle & bottom from time to time but seem just fine.

Now I hope they begin to eat again soon. It's a change so I'm sure it might take a little time.

Also looking to get a 20 gallon long tank for "Goldie" the fan tailed goldfish. In a large bowl still for time being.

Also looking to get a 20 gallon long tank for "Goldie" the fan tailed goldfish. In a large bowl still for time being.

Good idea :) if you can get a 30 gallon you can give him a friend in there too ;) just an idea

Back
Top Bottom