Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by binyamingavriel View Post
Any ideas on my mystery algae eater?
Oh, yes, I think it is a Chinese Algae Eater. They can suck the slime off of your fish, making them sick or die, they can eat out their eyes, no kidding. Best for a tank of other aggressive, semi aggressive fish.

They seem so cute too, and when young will eat algae.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

So should I try to return it to the store? Or is it OK for now add it's still small and see if I can give him a new home later?

Old 09-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would get rid of it asap, as you never know when they get bored or eating algae and start doing bad things.

FYI, the Golden Algae eater is the same creature just golden colored.

As it would be a cool water tank, I am not too sure which algae eater would work best

Japonica Amano Shrimp (Caridina japonica) says low temp 60F. But eventually they could become food for the Goldfish.

Changing your food could reduce phosphates if you are using a basic flake they can cause water problems. Changing your lights on to have a break (siesta) period can help too. Feed a little less can help.

Also some kinds of snails like a Mystery Snail or Nerite snail.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 09-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #14

I went back to the store and the guy who sold it to me basically said that since I wanted an algae cleaner he sold it to me, despite the fact that it would harm the goldfish. But he was quite willing to take it back for credit, so I'll bring it in tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by binyamingavriel View Post
I went back to the store and the guy who sold it to me basically said that since I wanted an algae cleaner he sold it to me, despite the fact that it would harm the goldfish. But he was quite willing to take it back for credit, so I'll bring it in tomorrow.
Well, that's good he's taking it back. They can really be awful fish in the wrong set up and that is usually what happens, it ends up in the wrong kind of tank or with the wrong kind of fish.

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 09-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Your fish stores are awful.

First, get your water rechecked asap. If theres 0 for both nitrates and ammonia there is a problem with the test kit because unless its 100% fresh out of the tap you wont see these readings.

You are going to need to buy your own test kit here if you want to keep your fish healthy. If ammonia or nitrite rise above 0.25ppm then you need to follow that with a 50% water change. If nitrates are above 40ppm then do the same. With fish as dirty as gold fish youre going to need to check the water daily until its cycled or you risk them dying.

For passover if you cant feed your fish wheat based products then try frozen food. Its super healthy and is better than letting your fish go without food. Due to gold fish's basic digestive tract they really need to be fed at least twice daily.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:23 PM   #17

Yeah, I got the feeling that the local stores weren't too great. I heard of a couple of good ones in New Jersey that I'll check out next week.
Regarding the food over Passover, I was given some type of plant at the first store which seemed to have done the job, but I don't know what the name is. I'll look into the frozen food next time.
Thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 01:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hello, I keep fancy goldfish. Hopefully I can help you with any specific questions. The minimum recommended tank size is 20 gallons for the first one and 10 for each additional. The recommended filtration is 10 x the tank size, in gallons per hour. So, for example 400 gallons per hour on a 40 gallon tank.

My 40 gallon is 48" long, but that is harder to find, in my experience. We have 3 in it, a black moor, a lionhead, and a ryukin/fantail mutt (it seems).

Pool filter sand is wonderful for these fish and very cost effective, if you ever want to change up your look.

We also keep live plants with ours.

As far as algae eaters, you may end up preferring to wipe the glass clean inside. There are stories of plecos sucking on the goldfish, too. We have had success with bristlenose plecos, and I've only heard good things about them with goldfish. So, I recommend one of those. They come in different colors - usually very dark or albino. Some have elongated fins. However, if you add one, I'd recommend the 55 gallon tank for sure. It's better either way because 3 fancies in a 40 maxes it out. We're very on top of our tank maintenance and have years of practice, so that helps!

Tank decor must be chosen with care for many fancies, so if you add one that has telescope eyes (like a moor), grows a wen (a poofy cap), etcetera, that will limit your decorating.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 09-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #19

Is there any benefit per se to sand over gravel or is it strictly aesthetic choice?
Still trying to find a good spot for as larger tank do for now it's just the two ryukin and frequent water changes.
Regarding plants, I was told at one of these stores that they're fine, while the other told me no good because the goldfish will eat them. My guess is the truth les somewhere in between, namely that there are some pants that are appropriate and others that are not. What pants are appropriate? Any other decorating that is recommended our should be avoided?
Thanks
Old 09-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Actually, there are plants recommended for goldfish!
Water sprite is my favorite because it grows fast enough to keep up even though they love eating it! I also grow amazon swords very successfully with them. The swords are heavy duty, low maintenance bushy tall plants that get huge. It really helps fill in space with beauty, and the fish actually sleep in their shelter. Water sprite is a fern, and can grow tall to make a living background, or be trimmed short to make front or mid plants. It also grows nicely floating, which creates some shadier spots.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
star, start, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com