Starting new (for the third time)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't mind cleaning gravel, the work was okay with me, but it really is a lot of work because the food particles and poop sift down in the cracks.
Once I tried this sand, I was shocked how easy it was. Everything literally stays on top of it, easy to see. You can put your vaccuum hose above it and it will float up and in. It saved me so much time, and I knew for sure I really got everything! So, for me, that was the death of gravel, ha ha.

Also, the surface area for your beneficial bacteria is better with sand.

Finally, the gold fish play with it! They scoop up mouthfuls and spit it out for fun. Our favorite goldfish used to aim at our pleco, ha ha ha!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

As far as decoration, anything with a hard edge can scrape and damage those eyes or wens. Also, fancies are slow swimmers and clumsy. I had a lionhead swim into a cave, then scrape off several scales coming out! He fit fine, but his navigation was poor. So, extra big openings is my lesson there.

Maybe I misread, but I thought I saw that the Amazon swords need warmer water than the water sprites, so might not be as good in a room temp goldfish tank. If the goldfish eat the sprites do I have to alter my feeding pattern for them?
Regarding the use of sand, how do you prevent it from getting sucked up through the vacuum? With the gravel you're sticking the end into it and its size prevents it from getting sucked into the tubing while still allowing the debris to get removed. Does the sand not have to be agitated at all?

Maybe I misread, but I thought I saw that the Amazon swords need warmer water than the water sprites, so might not be as good in a room temp goldfish tank. If the goldfish eat the sprites do I have to alter my feeding pattern for them?
Regarding the use of sand, how do you prevent it from getting sucked up through the vacuum? With the gravel you're sticking the end into it and its size prevents it from getting sucked into the tubing while still allowing the debris to get removed. Does the sand not have to be agitated at all?

The sand doesn't need to be agitated. The reason you have to slam the gravel vacuum down into gravel, is because poop falls down to the bottom of gravel. With sand, all the poop sit's on top. So you just suck up all the poop on top. I highly recommend sand.

+1 to what Silly said. My Amazon swords slow down in cooler times, and grow more when it's hot out. I heat my tank in the winter because it gets too cold here.

Hello. I have a goldfish, pleco and 2 very naughty algae eaters. The goldfish came from our local fair and has almost tripled in size over the last 6 weeks. He had taken over my nasty snail problem but has left by mystery snails alone. Twice a week they get a cucumber and it's gone within 12 hours. I had a wisteria plant in there and it is quiet leaf-less but my sword plants are fine. Gotta find some more plants. But I would suggest cucumbers and oranges for the bottom feeders. My mollies even pick at the veggies/fruit. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410458125.416918.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410458143.942046.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Adorable! Ours love those too. I use a clip to pin it to the tank wall.

Back
Top Bottom