Starting over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sparky1950

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Greetings from Kentucky, guys and girls.

After 15 years of being fish free, I have set up a new 125 gallon FW tank. I have had nothing but problems, basically because of my own stuipdity and lack of patience. Once my water tested fine, I purchased way too many fish and then began to feed them too often. The Chlorine level spiked, and I began to loose fish, daily. I began water changes (20-50%) after the first week, every 2-3 days.
After loosing most of the new fish and cleaning the gravel every 2 days, my levels are now looking much better, but today, the tank looks like I poured 1/2 gallon of milk in the tank (cloudy).
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Over the past years, I have had numerous tanks (10-75 gallon), but never this much trouble.
I have a Fluval 4X canister filter.

Greetings from Kentucky, guys and girls.

After 15 years of being fish free, I have set up a new 125 gallon FW tank. I have had nothing but problems, basically because of my own stuipdity and lack of patience.

Often the case I find myself in ;) nice size tank tho!

Once my water tested fine, I purchased way too many fish and then began to feed them too often.

What is "fine" ? ammonia/nitrite/nitrate/pH values please. Yes too many fish at once can overload the cycle.

The Chlorine level spiked,

Are you treating your water? It's kind of impossible to have a "chlorine spike" could you explain a little better as to how this happened?

and I began to loose fish, daily. I began water changes (20-50%) after the first week, every 2-3 days.

How long has this tank been setup? If only a week it was no where close to being suitable for fish.

After loosing most of the new fish and cleaning the gravel every 2 days, my levels are now looking much better, but today, the tank looks like I poured 1/2 gallon of milk in the tank (cloudy).

Bacterial bloom, UV sterilization or water changes and time will clear this up. Disturbing the gravel a lot will do this.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Over the past years, I have had numerous tanks (10-75 gallon), but never this much trouble.
I have a Fluval 4X canister filter.

Answered in bold.

ZxC

Sorry for the delay. I will attempt to address your response.
1. After 1 week, the test results were:
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Hardness 75
Total Chlorine 0
Total Alkalinity 40
PH 6.8
2. I was very happy with the results, so I purchased too many fish too soon, and after another week, they began to die. The Ammonia level was 2.0.
I did a 25% water change, two days later I did a 50% water change and two days later I did another 50% water change, with a very minor change to the Ammonia level. I lost 3 angels, 3 bala sharks, 3 grouminies 5 tetra's and 1 large catfish.
I meant to say "Ammonia" spike instead of "chlorine" spike.
On 3/21, The water became cloudy overnight and got worse the next day, so I did a 75% water change(which was too much, I'm sure), and two days later, the water cleared up.
I'm sure it was the bacterial bloom that caused this, but back in the day,(20 yrs ago) I simply used tap water for my three aquariums, and had very little problems.
I had no knowledge of what a "bacterial bloom" was. Now, all the fish that survived appear to be doing well, and the water has cleard up. The chemicals are in the "safe" areas, so I have had a very expensive and trying learning curve.
Thanks for your response and patience.

I am still 'old school '...
I often have to remind myself how I got where I am with fish .
I remember bring home fish no problem and using water right out of the bath tub[many buckets]..
It sounds like you understand and will bounce back.
Keep your ammonia and nitrite 1 ppm or under.
If you use seachems 'Prime' for a dechlorinator it can also safely be used to detoxify ammonia and nitrites for 48 hours. When I see spikes in new tanks I change water and add extra prime.
The % of water you change is the % the nutrient should be reduced so I find 50% water changes easiest to figure out . If match temperature and have not messed with the water parameters you can safely changed large amounts if the fish are used to it.
I make 75-90% changes on all my grow out tanks..
Good luck and test till you are in the clear.

Thanks, coralbandit.
Just seems to be a lot different from several years ago. I do use Prime for the dechlorinator. I now know I must keep a closer eye on things.

Back
Top Bottom