starting the hobby again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovefish87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:fish2: hi everyone :fish2:
well im just getting back in the hobby.i gave up fish keeping just over a year ago due to falling pregnant.i just knew i would not have the time for it and my husband just does not have a clue bless him :lol:.ive kept fish for around 4 years.im no expert and im learning all the time.well i have a bit more time on my hands now so a few months ago i brought a juwel rio 240 litre.its a perfect size for me.not too big and not too small.ive been cycling it with household ammonia.it finished cycling last week and took about 6 weeks in total.so i was so happy to get my first fish then that morning just before i was gonna do the big water change my husband called."ive found a house" he said.well since my son was born the house is not suitable.i have 2 children, one is 5 and the other 5 months and the house is just too small.we have been looking for a while to move and nothing came up.the day my cycle finishes a house comes up lol.the cycle felt like it took forever and when it finished i was so happy.anyway we viewed the house and are moving in around 8 weeks time.so as the day will be stressful enough ive decided not to add any fish and to just feed ammonia to the tank everyday.as i have a choice i think its the best choice,as moving is very stressful i dont want to be worryingabout moving, my children and the fish aswell.at the moment i have gravel in it and i want to change to sand so this will be a good time to change it.but will it have an effect on the cycle?? i have a canister filter so that will be fine.once ive set it up i will make a tank log on my progress.thanks for reading have a great day :)

Last edited:
Welcome to AA and back to the Hobby. The change out will possibly throw a mini cycle but most of the BB is in the filter media so you should be ok quickly. You are obviously patient. Good luck in all of those issues. :)

hi yeah i will just continue adding the ammonia once the change over has been done then wait a week and if all good then add my fish.

Back
Top Bottom