stop me before I kill again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brry

Aquarium Advice Regular
Despite all my time, effort, money and prayer my fish keep dying. I feel I got in way over my head with this hobby as it has become a real money-pit and very depressing.

My background:
A good friend of mine would have me take care of her three large aquariums while she was away. I simply followed her directions and the fish were happy and thriving, some even bred under my care. I loved it.

Decided to strike out on my own. Bought an inexpensive neon tetra tank set up in a box with all the accouterments, water conditioners, food and so on. Disaster struck the first day. Followed the directions, made sure the water was the right temperature etc. The fish kept jumping out the bowl to their deaths. The ones that remained seemed to be paralyzed, breathing but floating motionless. Did several water changes. Came home one day to find all them dead. Still have no idea what went wrong. Packed up the bowl and vowed never to keep fish again.

Six years later decide to give it another go with something easier. A betta. 6 gallon tank with a filter. Couple of snails for company. Soon disaster strikes again. Paralyzed fish. Used all the right products, thermometer says the temperature was right. Seemed like he was getting better at first, but soon, dead fish.

Bowed but not broken I got two more fish. They did fine a couple of days before breaking out in ick. I purchased all kinds of medicine plus ammonia/nitrates/nitrite/ph/water hardness/acidity tests just in case the water levels has somehow caused the ick. It showed the water was perfect. One died, after looking like it was getting better. After waiting to make sure the other was fully healed I returned it the pet store before he could become my next victim.

I started my tank all over again, cleaning the gravel with boiling water, cycling it from scratch. The other tanks hadn't been cycled, because no one had ever told me you were supposed to do that, so I suspected some kind of "new tank syndrome" was getting them, but my test strips said otherwise. They showed the levels in my tank to be ideal. So I'm very confused there. What's going wrong????

For the past three days now I have an empty tank except for two snails. Test strips show the water to be fine but I don't trust in it anymore. I am trying to sprout some plants first, before I put any more fish in there, hoping that the plants will help. I am thinking a small school of tetra this time. Something colorful but not injected with dye like they do to those poor neons and fruit tetras.

If you have any tips and pointers, or any clue what keeps killing my fish, or how I can prevent this from happening the next time I would really appreciate it. I am fearing a repeat. Also if you have other small tank fish you can suggest to me that would be great.

What are your exact water parameters? That might help.

And how long did the tank cycle? Did you check the levels to be sure the cycle was complete?

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

Yea definitely cycle before adding fish. Your fish were jumping out of the water from the ammonia in the water (burning them)

Don't use test strips! Get the API Freshwater master kit! it costs a bit, but you actually save money (vs test strips).

Do you have filter?

This is my first time cycling a tank. Again, like I said, the other tanks were uncycled because no one ever told me that had to be done. They should put that on the box somewhere when you go to by a new aquarium or at least an employee should mention it. I was simply adding the water conditioners, start zyme, checking the temperature and plopping them right in.

Even still, after I checked it said my ammonia levels were 0 (ideal) Nitrates 0 (ideal) Nitrite 0 (ideal) water hardness medium, total alkalinity 120-180 (ideal), freshwater ph 6.8-7.2 (neutral)

I remain baffled. Out of speculation could it just be that the fish were shocked and traumatized from being moved so much, from the store to the bowl?

Yes I have a filter and a nice one. For a 5-15 gallon tank.

In a cycled tank the nitrAtes will always be around ten give or take some. They can go up to about twenty before you need to worry.

Did you acclimate the fish, and if so, hat method did you use?

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

did you declorinate your water? how big is the tank? do you know of any metals your water is high in? dont be discouraged, i used to keep a tank and actually did fairly well, but could have done much better and that was for the most part luck. Now i just set my tank up, read up on cycling, talked to people and thought i cycled it well. Now i am trying to fix amonia/nitrite poisoning. Just do lots and lots of research, i have been on here for two days and it has been an excellent learning tool!

I took the bag or bowl they came in, and set it inside the tank water for an hour, so the temperature would match, then released them. They didn't go into any kind of shock or flip around or anything. Just swam normally. Problems would show up 2-3 days later.

Yes of course I used the water conditioner/declorinater, also algae control and start-zyme, which is supposed to help you start up your new tank. Our city water here is supposed to be pretty good. I did though, have sea shells as part of my tank decoration. I have learned that is not a good idea because it hardens the water and adds too much calcium. I have removed them.

Despite all my time, effort, money and prayer my fish keep dying. I feel I got in way over my head with this hobby as it has become a real money-pit and very depressing.

My background:
A good friend of mine would have me take care of her three large aquariums while she was away. I simply followed her directions and the fish were happy and thriving, some even bred under my care. I loved it.

Decided to strike out on my own. Bought an inexpensive neon tetra tank set up in a box with all the accouterments, water conditioners, food and so on. Disaster struck the first day. Followed the directions, made sure the water was the right temperature etc. The fish kept jumping out the bowl to their deaths. The ones that remained seemed to be paralyzed, breathing but floating motionless. Did several water changes. Came home one day to find all them dead. Still have no idea what went wrong. Packed up the bowl and vowed never to keep fish again.

Six years later decide to give it another go with something easier. A betta. 6 gallon tank with a filter. Couple of snails for company. Soon disaster strikes again. Paralyzed fish. Used all the right products, thermometer says the temperature was right. Seemed like he was getting better at first, but soon, dead fish.

Bowed but not broken I got two more fish. They did fine a couple of days before breaking out in ick. I purchased all kinds of medicine plus ammonia/nitrates/nitrite/ph/water hardness/acidity tests just in case the water levels has somehow caused the ick. It showed the water was perfect. One died, after looking like it was getting better. After waiting to make sure the other was fully healed I returned it the pet store before he could become my next victim.

I started my tank all over again, cleaning the gravel with boiling water, cycling it from scratch. The other tanks hadn't been cycled, because no one had ever told me you were supposed to do that, so I suspected some kind of "new tank syndrome" was getting them, but my test strips said otherwise. They showed the levels in my tank to be ideal. So I'm very confused there. What's going wrong????

For the past three days now I have an empty tank except for two snails. Test strips show the water to be fine but I don't trust in it anymore. I am trying to sprout some plants first, before I put any more fish in there, hoping that the plants will help. I am thinking a small school of tetra this time. Something colorful but not injected with dye like they do to those poor neons and fruit tetras.

If you have any tips and pointers, or any clue what keeps killing my fish, or how I can prevent this from happening the next time I would really appreciate it. I am fearing a repeat. Also if you have other small tank fish you can suggest to me that would be great.
Hi...I am new here (joined today) but my son had the same problem with his new to him 55 gallon tank. His fish when first introduced, went to the top and gulped for air. He had a brand new very expensive pump and filter system. I saw it for the first time yesterday and noticed there were absolutely no bubbles in the water. They died from lack of oxygen. Just a shot in the dark here, but is your filter system making lots of bubbles

What kind of filter do you have. As seems to be the case in alot of threads on here sounds like ammonia/nitrite poisening. Did you cycle the tank?

Welcome to AA.

First of all, no more fish until you've completely read and understood the nitrigen cycle.
Manage your freshwater aquarium, tropical fishes and plants: Nitrogen Cycle for Dummies

Cycling takes time, usually around 3 weeks to 5 weeks. So that you kill no more fish, (per the title), i suggest reading the fishless cycle post here on AA.
Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

Definately get yourself the API Freshwater Liquid Master test kit. Worth every penny. I would also suggest NOT using your city tap water. There are tons of chemicals that are harmful to fish and good bacteria. Instead for such a small tank I'd advise using RO/DI water from a local fish store (lfs) that might sell per gallon. Usually around 50 - 75 cents a gallon.

Once all that is done, and you start seeing nitrAtes, you can then think about adding your fish.

Hi...I did not kill any fish. I simply replied to a post by someone else that is having trouble. In that post, I mentioned the problem my son had. His fish did fine in the 30 gallon tank but started gasping for air in the new tank. The pet store had tested his water....it was perfect. They were lacking oxygen plain and simple. It is another poster in here with the problem....not me. My fish are just fine.

Hi...I did not kill any fish. I simply replied to a post by someone else that is having trouble. In that post, I mentioned the problem my son had. His fish did fine in the 30 gallon tank but started gasping for air in the new tank. The pet store had tested his water....it was perfect. They were lacking oxygen plain and simple. It is another poster in here with the problem....not me. My fish are just fine.

Which is who my post was refering to. Im glad you repaired your issue with more oxygen.

However to touch on your particular post, your filter should provide enough water movement in a 30g tank for plenty of oxygenation. Airstones are a great addition however. And also I would suggest picking up the liquid test kit mentioned in my above post. If your relying on your LFS for testing.

Back
Top Bottom