Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

What kind of filter do you have. As seems to be the case in alot of threads on here sounds like ammonia/nitrite poisening. Did you cycle the tank?

Old 03-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My son added bubblers to the tank and his fish are fine now.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Welcome to AA.

First of all, no more fish until you've completely read and understood the nitrigen cycle.
Manage your freshwater aquarium, tropical fishes and plants: Nitrogen Cycle for Dummies

Cycling takes time, usually around 3 weeks to 5 weeks. So that you kill no more fish, (per the title), i suggest reading the fishless cycle post here on AA.
Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

Definately get yourself the API Freshwater Liquid Master test kit. Worth every penny. I would also suggest NOT using your city tap water. There are tons of chemicals that are harmful to fish and good bacteria. Instead for such a small tank I'd advise using RO/DI water from a local fish store (lfs) that might sell per gallon. Usually around 50 - 75 cents a gallon.

Once all that is done, and you start seeing nitrAtes, you can then think about adding your fish.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi...I did not kill any fish. I simply replied to a post by someone else that is having trouble. In that post, I mentioned the problem my son had. His fish did fine in the 30 gallon tank but started gasping for air in the new tank. The pet store had tested his water....it was perfect. They were lacking oxygen plain and simple. It is another poster in here with the problem....not me. My fish are just fine.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:17 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertstorm40 View Post
Hi...I did not kill any fish. I simply replied to a post by someone else that is having trouble. In that post, I mentioned the problem my son had. His fish did fine in the 30 gallon tank but started gasping for air in the new tank. The pet store had tested his water....it was perfect. They were lacking oxygen plain and simple. It is another poster in here with the problem....not me. My fish are just fine.
Which is who my post was refering to. Im glad you repaired your issue with more oxygen.

However to touch on your particular post, your filter should provide enough water movement in a 30g tank for plenty of oxygenation. Airstones are a great addition however. And also I would suggest picking up the liquid test kit mentioned in my above post. If your relying on your LFS for testing.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm no expert , but without knowing the exact parameters of your water, it's impossible to tell what's going on. If you can purchase an API Master test kit. The strips are inaccurate and costly.
Amazon.com: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarian Freshwater Master Test Kit: Kitchen & Dining
This is the most reliable way to know how your water is.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com