Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2016, 01:44 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

1 invest in a much larger aquarium. 2 it seems like you may be in a constant cycle due to all the chronic maintenance. Test your water regularly and maybe change water every two weeks or once a month.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 01-05-2016, 05:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Changing your water often doesn't affect the cycle at all, changing less water would just make the nitrates go crazy. If anything do bigger weekly water changes. The tank can't be in a constant cycle, the water parameters show that the tank is cycled.

sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:00 AM   #13
AA1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you for the all your comments.

I shall not be adding anymore fish, but may I ask how many you would consider the max. The original store where I purchased the tank suggested I could have up to 20 small fish. Even I thought this was too much, however the store I have used most recently thought 12-14 so long as my water quality was fine, which it seems to be.

It may well be overstocking, however even when I only had half a dozen fish, I still had random deaths. I shall continue with my weekly water changes for the time being as my parameters are ok and I don't want my nitrates to build up. I shall however up my water testing to double check that there is no cycling going on.

As for the poop, my livebearers have always had a tendency for stringy poop, but usually greeny. The only time they have white poop is when I've put one of those white holiday blocks in whilst I've been away. May I ask what problem does 'whitish stringy poop' suggest?
Old 01-06-2016, 12:21 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Poop can come out like a string, but white to clear stringy poo can be a couple things, most often internal parasites. That doesn't seem to be a problem for you.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:32 AM   #15
AA1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you for that. I shall keep a note for future reference.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #16
AA1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Smile

It's been about a month now since my original post and I'm pleased to say that I've had no further deaths. All my water parameters are ok and all seems well.
I'll continue to do my current maintenance and fingers crossed everything will continue to be good.

Many thanks to everyone for all their advice.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA1 View Post
It's been about a month now since my original post and I'm pleased to say that I've had no further deaths. All my water parameters are ok and all seems well.
I'll continue to do my current maintenance and fingers crossed everything will continue to be good.

Many thanks to everyone for all their advice.
Yay! Yeah it can take a little time for the water to just get in sync. My water had really high pH readings for a while. My fish like that. But it has slowly come down to a normal reading on its own. Which is nice. Just patience and time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
first tank, struggling, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com