Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #1
AA1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Struggling with first tank

Hello!

I've have had my aquarium for over a year now, but I still seem manage to kill off a fish every few weeks. I know in the beginning I was too naive about everything, but now I don't know what i'm doing wrong. I had a good streak over the summer where all was well for about 3 months, but I've had two deaths (platys) in the last couple of weeks. One hadn't been eating and had been hiding for a while, but with no obvious external problems. The other had one white spot on it's tail yesterday and was dead this morning.

I do a 20% water change once a week and the parameters always seem ok. Ammonia nil, nitrite nil & nitrate 25mg. I feed my fish every other day.

My tank's only 30L which I have discovered in hindsight is somewhat small (small seemed good to an ignorant beginner). It contains 7 neon tetras, 1 ember tetra, 1 platy, 4 guppies and 3 snails.

I'm at the stage where I'm either going to stop buying replacement fish or consider gambling on a bigger tank, but I don't want to find that I'm still doing something wrong and it has nothing to do with tank size.

Does anyone have some good advice for me? Many thanks in advance!

Old 01-04-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
Can you tell us your entire maintenance routine? It's either that or maybe internal parasites maybe....
Also, has it been all different fish dying or just specific kinds?

sinibotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
AA1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Many thanks for your prompt response!

I do a weekly 20% water change using a gravel syphon and replace the water with tap water (at same temperature) treated with prime. There are two sponges and two carbon filters. I rinse out one sponge in the old water one week and the other the next. I change one of the carbon filters one month and the other the next. I very occasionally clean the rest of the filter (in old water) if the flow seems to have reduced. I used to clean algae from the sides too, but since the addition of the snails a couple of months back, I haven't need to do this.

Since I've had the tank (roughly 14 months) I've lost 4 guppies, 4 embers, 3 mollies, 4 platys and one neon tetra. Of them all, my neon tetras have been the hardiest. I've had 4 of them since week two and they have even survived a bout of white spot. Not great statistics I'm afraid.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Where have you been getting the livebearers (mollies, guppies, platies)?
Old 01-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #5
AA1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I've used three different stores in my region. The second two of which I chose because of their good reputations. I never used my local one as the fish and tanks didn't look well enough cared for.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm...I've had issues keeping livebearers from stores alive myself and suspect it's a genetic issue. Maybe try getting some really high quality fish from a breeder? If it's not that, it's probably internal parasites based on the not-eating part, so I would try Metro, Prazipro, or both.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
AA1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you ever so much for your advice it's very much appreciated.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If I read the post correctly you said 30L which would be almost 8 gallons. That is a large stock of fish for such a small tank. I think maybe 50% pwc every 3-4 days.

Any fish have whitish stringy poop?

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:25 PM   #9
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Autumnsky on this

Quote:
I've have had my aquarium for over a year now, but I still seem manage to kill off a fish every few weeks. I know in the beginning I was too naive about everything, but now I don't know what i'm doing wrong. I had a good streak over the summer where all was well for about 3 months, but I've had two deaths (platys) in the last couple of weeks. One hadn't been eating and had been hiding for a while, but with no obvious external problems. The other had one white spot on it's tail yesterday and was dead this morning.

I do a 20% water change once a week and the parameters always seem ok. Ammonia nil, nitrite nil & nitrate 25mg. I feed my fish every other day.

My tank's only 30L which I have discovered in hindsight is somewhat small (small seemed good to an ignorant beginner). It contains 7 neon tetras, 1 ember tetra, 1 platy, 4 guppies and 3 snails.
your biggest problem is the part I highlighted which you already acknowledged a 8g tank is to small for that stock , for the time being till you can upgrade tanks follow autumnskys suggestion , look forward to hear of a happy outcome
Try and avoid any new stock till you can upgrade your tank
almost forgot welcome to AA remember a happy fish is a healthy fish
Old 01-04-2016, 06:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree, but the water quality seems to be in check so overstocking doesn't seem to be the issue.

Tags
first tank, struggling, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com