Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Support for aquarists!

So happy to have found this. As a beginner, have a million questions and the aquarium keeps changing giving rise to new ones. I have a 55 gallon tank with 3 black skirt tetras, 4 angels, 3 zebra danios, 2 platys, 1 Chinese algae eater, 3 red eye tetras, and 6 neon tetras and lots and lots of very cloudy green water. Yikes! The fish seem happy and healthy though so I don't think my problem is toxic. Just quite unsightly. I was changing about 20 percent water weekly. Should I increase frequency of water changes? I'm also leaving the lights off and only feeding minimally. Any other ideas?

FishAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey welcome to AA I'm a newbie too, so my advice might be a bit off, but I would recommend a 50% water change every 1-2 days until it clears up, should take around a week. Do you have a test kit? I was using test strips but everyone on here seems to recommend the API master freshwater kit. Mine just came in the mail today and it is soo helpful! It's really accurate.
I'm wondering since you said you're a beginner, have you cycled your tank yet? this could also be the cause of it. I'd recommend posting this under the beginner freshwater forum, Everyone is super friendly and will be able to help you right away

GoldfishNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Do you have a willow tree or access to one? Cut off some fresh leafy branches. And stick them into your tank. Cut them big so that there's a good amount of leaves sticking out of your tank (so like 3' long boughs). That'll clear up green water in a jiff.
Crepe is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com