Tell me how I am doing...please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crunchygirl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tank has been set up for 6 weeks. Did a fishless cycle. Had our ammonia spike and drop, had our nitrite spike and drop, and now have nitrates. We did a 50% water change, waited 24 hrs, tested again, and added fish. Our levels are at around 0.1 ammo, 0 nitrite, 3.0 nitrate. Temp. is 74 F and pH 8.2 (fish shop is at 8.4). We added 3 black skirt tetra to our 20 gal. They seem very lethargic. Is that just how they adjust? Or am I missing something? They seemed a little pulled around (maybe by the current?) so I turned off the bubble stone and opened the mid-level intake on our Marineland Penguin 150 biowheel. Please let me know how I am doing!

Your doing fine :) I would continue personally with a 10 % WC daily, and start stocking with your preferred stock. I would if you arent already, add carbon to your filter media, i swear by it, others dont. Ammonia and nitrite are your biggest concerns, and while your still showing ammonia i would ask what your using to test? the API kit or strips? either way a daily WC for a week of 1 - 2 gallons should be all you need to finish your nitrogen cycle :)

Just dont add your whole stock at once; add 2 - 3 every now and then until you are stocked up :)

Last edited:
FORGET CARBON IT IS A WASTE of money unless you need to remove meds or clear tannins
you are better off with chempure or puregen if you want chemical filtration, but most people do not need it

Not sure why you think Carbon is a waste... Yes technically its a chemical filtration but it is one of natures most effective natural filtration methods as well. With that put aside, I dont use carbon to remove things that I have put into the water, ( I dont add ANYTHING to my water ) I use carbon to remove the impurities that comes from using tap water; but even more, Because the water clarity you get from a carbon filtered water is amazing. same concept as carbon being able to turn brownish, tannin filled water to crystal clear, it at least to my eye keeps my water as pristine, if not better than using a diatom filter.

I used to use carbon for years till I tried chempure and the next morning I thought they tank leaked all the water till I seen the fish flying through the air
carbon works as a place for bacteria great for a long time but as a chemicla filtration media for only a few days
chem pure or puregen do a better job are cheaper in the long run , and makes less of a mess
I also used to use a diatom filter but chempure makes the water clearer , but the diatom is great for filtering particles and parasites

I admit I have never used chemi pure in my tanks; and after reading your post I have been researching it like crazy, but I still dont see why the extra expense of chemi pure is worth it; for two reasons, and maybe you could help me understand more your point of view, but the only two benefits I see of chemi-pure over straight carbon is 1) Constant PH levels. TBH this should never be an issue in a maintained tank. The PH stays constant in my experience unless you add water from a different source, or just dont water change like you should, i guess it would also change if you add a media that is designed to effect PH :p

2) I read a few times about the Ion something or another affects. Dont get me wrong, sure the chemi pure may do that; but I have never had to go to such an extreme to raise beautiful, happy, breeding fish.

Now to somewhat agree with your use, I see many people raving about the use of chemi pure and purigen along with eachother. Why? What benefits do you see with this? All I see TBH (With out using either of the products myself) is a ploy to claim better fish health without any actual evidence of such...

it removes all unwanted organics , tannins, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates
I normally do not use any carbon or other chemical filtration except in African tanks
the high ph makes the ammonia super toxic ant very low levels , and a dead fish , unseen or a missed water change could kill all your fish
African tanks also tend to be over crowded
chempure or puregen will absorb ammonia super fast and will last in a 50 gal tank about 6 months and then can be regenerated , carbon takes alot longer does not work for more than a few days and is not cheap and not regeneratable for most people
try it you will like it , it also lessens algia by removing nitrates
it does not replace water changes , but may lessen the need for them so often

Im not the arguing type, but I would submit to you

"it removes all unwanted organics , tannins"

This is exactly what carbon does.

"ammonia, nitrites and nitrates"

This is a non issue in a properly cycled fish tank : IE The nitrogen cycle

"carbon takes allot longer does not work for more than a few days and is not cheap and not regeneratable for most people"

Carbon lasts up to a month; give or take on tank population, is cheaper than chemi -pure and is 100% rechargeable.

"it also lessens algae by removing nitrates "

1 pleco takes care of the algae... again nitrates being a natural part of the nitrogen cycle

"it does not replace water changes , but may lessen the need for them so often"

I cant see a bad in this, no one like water changes, but i must point out that if you rely on chemical filtration as opposed to letting the nitrogen cycle fully develop, you always run a risk of not changing the chemical filration soon enough thus causing a fish die off. If your 'chemical filtration" replaces the natural nitrogen cycle, you have to constantly ensure your water parameters are correct. regardless of the matter, no filtration method is better than constant water changes; IE would you drink a glass of water that was sitting out for a week? So why should your fish live in that type of water?

Furthermore; Chemi pure is mainly activated carbon

wrong chempure is an ion replacing resin not carbon , and the only way to regenerate carbon is at high temps in an industrial oven
you are right about water changes being the best way and my son had a tank at school
that ran water from the bay into the tank 24/7 , with no filters needed
I over filter my tanks with almost pure bio filters and do weekly 30 % water changes
but , I use no chem filtration for most of my tanks , but there is a use for it under some conditions and in my 50 years or experience these resins work much better than carbon or zeolites

Directly from the manufactureres website:

"Chemipure is a nylon filter bag filled with a high grade blend of activated carbons and ion exchange resins. The activated carbons filter particulates and waste while the ion exchange resins help remove nitrogen (ammonia and nitrate) build up which is harmful to your fish. "

Yes it does have attributes that remove components necessary to the nitrogen cycle, but IMO if you remove those attributes you are obligated to using the chemical for a much longer amount of time so you can develop your natural bio filter. Now if you plan to use chemi pure throughout the entire life cycle of your tank this may be acceptable to you, but i prefer to let my tank be as self sustainable as possible.

Zeolite, IMO is beneficial to those that get bit excited about setting up their tanks, but should be slowly weened off of from using in the following two months of being used, that way a complete nitrogen cycle can be developed.

Lastly, Carbon is fairly easily re activated by simple use of a microwave and hydrogen peroxide. Yes, I agree there are ways that will work better, but this method works just fine. Yet I would also like to point out that I have never re activated my carbon, The 10 dollar 23 ounce containers I get last me well over a year.

As another not after hours of research, I cannot disagree with your use of chemi-pure, but need to point out that other than the ionizing properties; it is considered first and foremost an incredibly high quality carbon...

the ionizing properties, IMO and from my research deal primarily with PH values... TBH PH as i think i said earlier is only affected by poor tank maintenance; with few exceptions. Carbon is, Again, IMO the ideal secondary filtration method to keep your water pristine. Other steps can be taken, sure but unless you are lazy and dont maintain your tank, why spend the extra on filtration that gives you no added benefits?

Back
Top Bottom