Thanks for the welcome.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Logans dad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks for the welcome.
I have a 75 gal tank my son talked my wife and I into buying. Had tanks and raised Angel fish 30 years ago but I dont remember having so much trouble. Back In the day If you set up a new tank and put fish in it right away and then waited like 3 weeks to add fish it was OK and they didnt die. Maybe we over did it with fish. 5 Tiger Barbs, 2 Clowns, 2 Silver Dollars, 3 dianios, 10 Neon's. 2 Albino cat fish. All but 1 neon's died and we knew we took a chance with that. 1 Silver Dollar died, Both Clowns Died, 1 cat fish, And now looks like a Barb is going to die.

Tank started out great the first week. Second week the Ammonia came up for a week then went to zero and then the trouble started when the nitrites came up on week 3. Fish got Ick and we treated it for a week and it was looking good but then they got it again. First three weeks we did 2 water changes a week. Then 4Th week we went to every other day with water changes with the Nitrites off the map and this is when the fish started dying. This is the 5th week and we see the nitrAtes are coming up so we hope this is the next phase of the cycle. Tap water checks 0 on nitrites and nitrAtes. Water changes were all 30 gallons. We use Prime. I use to use water rite back in the day but cant find it now. Now our fish store says wait 5 days to change water again.

How come some people dont get a high Nitrites readings and some do?

We also got a 30 gallon tank yesterday to put the fish in as we know we have two weeks until the Nitrites come up and hope the big tank will be cycled by then. What do some of you think about all this?

Back
Top Bottom