That New Guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abw0004

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone,
This is my second thread I have started as the first one was already a question I asked. haha. But I thought I would tell everyone what I have so far. I received my first fish-tank as a Christmas present. It is a Fluval 25 gallon freshwater tank. I thought this would be a good starter tank so I can learn the ropes before I get a much bigger one and hopefully one day get a saltwater tank. I Put 11 live plants in it (including 2 moss balls) along with a piece of driftwood and a fake tree root thing that is hallow for fish to hide in. I made the mistake of not soaking/boiling the driftwood and it dyed the water. I quickly made a 50% water change and boiled the driftwood. I first added 6 tetras and lost 1. The others are fine so I then added 2 Boesemani Rainbows, a clown pleco and 2 guppies. Unfortunately I lost the 2 rainbows so I waited a week and then added 4 Boesemani Rainbows, 2 more guppies and 2 snails. I added 4 this time so they could school better and be less stressed. Everyone seems happy so far although I know rainbows need a 30 gallon tank.

I hope to learn a lot from this forum and I know that everyone on here knows more about fishkeeping than me. I love watching fish, I always have. So thank you guys for having me on here, and I look forward to conversing with you in the future!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Please read that :)

By the sounds of things, you didn't cycle your aquarium properly before adding fish. Do you have a master test kit? (ie API Freshwater master test kit). It is essential, especially for a new aquarium.

What is your level of knowledge, would you say? It would help us to better assist you. What do you already know? Some people don't know to use dechlorinator with tap water, for example.

What make and model of filter and heater do you have with that aquarium by the way? Just curious.

Cheers!
Welcome to the forum! Hope we can help!
(y)

Mistersprinkles,
First off thank you for the warm welcome. I haven't had big problems with the spikes in ammonia. Today I added something to lower the ammonia called Microbe-Lift? It was recommended so I did just that. I certainly do not know as much as you guys that's for sure but I have been doing heavy loads of research in the past two weeks so I am getting better. I think the cycling is a lot better than a week ago but I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom