The bug has bit me again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

king fish head

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I just joined and am excited to learn some new things from the other members.
I'm 51 years old and started my first tank when I was 10 years old. I've been in and out of the hobby since. Mostly due to moving for job reasons.
In the past I've done everything from freshwater community, african and american cichlids to fish only marine and reef tanks.
I've never had a tank larger than 55 gallons and the last time I set up a serious tank (saltwater reef) was almost 10 years ago.
Well the bug has bit me again and I just bought a 72 gallon Bowfront on Craigslist and here i go again.
I was originally planning to do a heavily planted freshwater community tank but I'm now thinking more along the lines of african cichlids with many scavengers. I've always loved cats and plecos so I think I'll go this direction.

If anyone out there has any advice please let me know. I already purchased an Eheim 2217 canister filter and I'm planning on using the cichlid substrate with the bacteria already in it.

My tank and stand is used and really dirty so I'll be speding some time just getting it back to fish ready.

I'm thinking about using a 48" T5 for lighting. Any thoughts on what the best lighting system would be to bring out the colors of the tank without building algae quicker than necessary?

As far as rocks I'm thinking of going to a place that sells decorative stones/rocks for building contractors as I'm guessing it may be the least expensive way to go. Any rocks that I should stay away from? I hear that some limestone will help keep the pH up naturally.

Anyhow, I'm thrilled to get started again and welcome any thoughts, tips and good advice.

Welcome to the forum! Start a thread in the Cichlid section. You'll get advice, opinions etc there.

Good luck and again welcome.

Back
Top Bottom