Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

the harder i try the worse it gets

hi, so i am in serious need of help, i decided to get a fish tank based on the fact that i wanted a pet but was unable to get a cat. i had a ex who was really good with fish but i only retained a minute amount of information from him and so now i need to build my knowledge so my wonderful lil fish will be happy and thrive. so anyone who is experienced with water conditions, live plant(i dont have any but am looking into adding) fish disease, or moss balls, please help me.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Welcome to AA! There are plenty of knowledgeable folks here that love to help out! Do you have any specific questions to get started?

Old 06-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
Ya, a very warm welcome to you!! I know we would all LOVE to help you create a happy, healthy environment for you and your wet pets!! Maybe the best place to start would be to tell us what you know so far? We are very excited you are taking the responsible steps to becoming a knowledgable pet owner
Old 06-10-2011, 04:54 AM   #4

i know i need a bigger tank for my 3 fish, aslo i know i should test the water but i dont know how to fix any issue that may show up when i test my water or even what type of test to get, and what i am testing for? i need help because one of my lil guys has fin rot, or maybe i am just really over reading the signs with my lil guys.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What fish do you have?

What size aquarium?

You should buy an API Master Test Kit, its best. It test for Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ph.

Usually doing water changes clears up any issue that may arise.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:59 AM   #6

k so i have a 10 gal with 2 jack dempseys and one slightly smaller and more aggresive black convict, and a moss ball.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Most all of us recommend the API Master Test Kit.

Freshwater Master Test Kit - API

If you can tell us about your setup, it will help us a great deal. Are you doing freshwater or saltwater? How big is your tank? What kind of filter? Heater? What kind of decoration is in the tank? How long has it been set up and what kind of fish are in it?

Fin rot can come from high ammonia levels. If you have just set the tank up, this is most likely the issue.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #8

o and where do you usually find a API kit?
Old 06-10-2011, 05:00 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Pet Stores, online.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:07 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Joyler
Ok your in the right place!! I suggest the API freshwater master test kit...it tests both ends of the ph scale, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate...fish (in most cases) prefer a ph between 7.0 and the highest I think they would be ok at is about 8.2 the main thing is that the ph stays stable! In my experience I have not had to do anything special to keep ph balanced...the water in my area just happens to be. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are all products of the nitrogen cycle (which you may want to research a little bit) I found it easier to read about than by people telling me...but that's me...in an established tank, you get beneficial bacteria which do a good job of breaking down waste aka "ammonia" (which is poisonous to fish) into nitrite (also poisonous) and then a second type of bacteria which is also beneficial breaks nitrite down into nitrate (which is not as harmful, but is still unhealthy)...there are people on here who actually have links to good ways to complete a cycle both with and without fish. I don't happen to have that link...so hopefully someone will chime in for you...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com