The New Guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pittbully13

Aquarium Advice Addict
It all started two years ago when I decided to get my daugther a 10 gallon aquarium kit from a big box store. We bought rainbow gravel, sponge bob everything, and fake neon plants. Luckily we didn't buy fish yet cause I knew we had to let the aquarium run for a few days or so I thought. After rising everything off and filling the tank, I googled how to set up an aquarium and found out about the nitrogen cycle and how long it takes to cycle a new tank. I decided to go with the fishless cycle and after a couple of weeks I got tired of waiting and added a few feeder goldies. That helped kick start the process and I fell into a rabbit hole that I will never get out of. Long story short, my daughter's aquarium is now mine and I several good looking planted aquariums. Worst part my wife hates my hobby.

I'm glad to finally be part of the community and not outside looking in. I hope to learn a lot from everyone and pass on my successes and failures.

Happy fishing!

I just saw this. Welcome to AA, eventhough my welcome was kinda late. Lol. But welcome just the same. Without AA, my hobby would have failed no question about it. I did all the no no in the fish hobby. Lol.

Sent from my N800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ten gallon is great to start what kind if fish do you plan putting in it or just sticking with goldfish

The gold fish seem like a lifetime ago. Lol. I gave them back to pet smart and upgraded to a 29 gallon. This is where im at now. Cugging along.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1397125916319.jpg
    1397125916319.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 1397125939034.jpg
    1397125939034.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 71
Would you look at that beautiful tank. And your wife still don't like your hobby? You have a great gift of aquascaping.

Thanks Daileene! Yeah I dont know why she doesn't either its so much fun and it gives me a chance to be creative. I still consider myself a beginner and still learning from everyone. My aquascape comes from beautiful pics of tanks that I aspire to have. Slowly, I'll get there.

My lights are diy. I had a single tube light fixture that came with the tank. I knew it wasn't enough lights to grow plants, so I took it apart and added more lights, cfl lights to be exact. 4x20 watts at 6500k. Thinking about replacing 2 bulbs with 5000k ones

Attachments

• 1397128289153.jpg
    1397128289153.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 1397128306397.jpg
    1397128306397.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 68
Thanks Daileene! Yeah I dont know why she doesn't either its so much fun and it gives me a chance to be creative. I still consider myself a beginner and still learning from everyone. My aquascape comes from beautiful pics of tanks that I aspire to have. Slowly, I'll get there.

My lights are diy. I had a single tube light fixture that came with the tank. I knew it wasn't enough lights to grow plants, so I took it apart and added more lights, cfl lights to be exact. 4x20 watts at 6500k. Thinking about replacing 2 bulbs with 5000k ones

That's awesome....wish you could do that for me coz I love the CFLs more. I have those bulbs in my 10 gallons and they are awesome. But of course the wider your tank is, then the stores mostly only have hoods with long tube lights and they don't penetrate the bottom of the tank that good. But oh well. What can i do. How did you changed the whole electric positions in the hood though? Maybe I'll try it.

And yes, I consider myself a beginner too eventhough I had started doing the planted tanks since 2011. I love being to change things around the tank. It's like a "Zen" feeling when i change water, or whatever. Lol. I might be crazy thinking that way. But hey, I always feel good knowing that I can garden in the water, so to speak, aside from my garden outside.

Do you use CO2? You're tank looks like you are using one since it's so vibrant...

That's awesome....wish you could do that for me coz I love the CFLs more. I have those bulbs in my 10 gallons and they are awesome. But of course the wider your tank is, then the stores mostly only have hoods with long tube lights and they don't penetrate the bottom of the tank that good. But oh well. What can i do. How did you changed the whole electric positions in the hood though? Maybe I'll try it.

And yes, I consider myself a beginner too eventhough I had started doing the planted tanks since 2011. I love being to change things around the tank. It's like a "Zen" feeling when i change water, or whatever. Lol. I might be crazy thinking that way. But hey, I always feel good knowing that I can garden in the water, so to speak, aside from my garden outside.

Do you use CO2? You're tank looks like you are using one since it's so vibrant...

The reason I went this route is because I couldn't see myself spending all that money on leds, which I really want, but dont have that kind of money to spend.... yet. Also, I wanted to show ppl that you dont need all the fancy equipment to have a great looking tank.

I dont mind walking you through the steps if you want to make one. I found another light hood that someone threw away, maybe I could do a diy thread on it? Possibility?

I know the Zen feeling your talking about. I rescaped my lil tank today before leaving to go home from work (same one i pulled all the duckweed from) and it seemed to calm me.

I use diy co2 as well. Here is my newly rescaped 2.5 gallon

Attachments

• 1397270159378.jpg
    1397270159378.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 1397270180332.jpg
    1397270180332.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 1397270195404.jpg
    1397270195404.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 56
The reason I went this route is because I couldn't see myself spending all that money on leds, which I really want, but dont have that kind of money to spend.... yet. Also, I wanted to show ppl that you dont need all the fancy equipment to have a great looking tank.

I dont mind walking you through the steps if you want to make one. I found another light hood that someone threw away, maybe I could do a diy thread on it? Possibility?

I know the Zen feeling your talking about. I rescaped my lil tank today before leaving to go home from work (same one i pulled all the duckweed from) and it seemed to calm me.

I use diy co2 as well. Here is my newly rescaped 2.5 gallon

Wow, I can't believe a 2.5 gallon could look that awesome. I should have one of those for a shrimp colony like yours too. I've been dreaming of having one. A shrimp colony that is. Do you have co2 on this one too? I would bet you do just by looking at how healthy your plants are.

I had tried the diy co2 before and for some reason it didn't work properly. What is your recipe? I had research some recipe online and used that but it is not productive.

And please, I would really be grateful forever if you'll have a thread for the diy lighting. I will definitely like to do it myself. I have a lil background on electricity so it shouldn't be that hard to understand.

Thanks in advance. :)

I dont use co2 in my 2.5. The plants I use grow well without. Im surprised the sp.japan is growing well. Would like to get a mini system in it, but for right now im happy with results.

As far as the diy co2 goes check out this thread I was a part of. I posted my recipe and pics of my set-up might help you if you decide to try again.

I dont have any background in electricity, so if I can do it anyone can. Lol

Back
Top Bottom