Thinking about switching my brand of salt after 10 years. Plus introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thevisionary78

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first post and it is also on an IPHONE app so go easy guys. My name is Roger and I have been in the hobby for almost 15 years with about a 5 year hiatus. I am 34 now and just got back into the Hobby last year with a 37 gallon saltwater tank. I have fake corals, live aragonite sand, and one PET Huma Huma trigger. I know down the road I will need a bigger tank and I am comfortable with this future purchase. My question is In the past I have always used Instant Ocean and have never tried any other synthetic salt mixes. What is the best salt for a fish only tank? Someone at petco said instant ocean is garbage and I will get algae. Any help appreciated.

Welcome... IMO, for fish only, instant ocean works fine. You don't really need to worry about the levels of calcium, strontium, etc. That's why most people with extensive reefs use more expensive salts. Algae's grow because of lighting and excess nutrient issues so unless you are buying a salt that has lots of phosphorus in it or comes laden with fish waste.. I'm doubting that the salt is going to contribute to an algae issue. However, I'm sure the pet store employee would prefer that you buy a more expensive salt from his store. If instant ocean has worked for you for 10 years... I'd say it works for you. If you plan on someday switching to keeping coral, at that point I would probably look into the change.

Back
Top Bottom