This is a tale about my fish and me.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ivanv15

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My name is Ivan and I'm new to this forum, hence, why I'm posting here :p. I'm 15 and about to be 16. I live in NYC and it's really cold this winter. I have two tanks. One of them is 5 gallons and the other .5 gallons. They are in my room near the window.
In the 5 gallon I have 4 fish and 1 snail. 1 female betta and 3 glo light tetras plus an ivory snail who seems to be doing really well. The female betta used to chase the tetras for the first day but now she just ignores them. The tetras are really inactive and just stay together in a pack. I think they are scared or something but the betta doesn't do anything anymore, so I don't know what's up. The snail once again seems to be doing good, but I'm a little worried because I never see it eat.
In the .5 gal I have a male betta. It's my first fish and he's really aggresive. I wanted to make him mate with the female but instead he chased her and beat her :(. Now when ever he sees her across the other tank, he becomes really furious and aggresive but she just stares at him. (This has all been happening in a period of about two weeks or one, all if it.) I think he is jealous because I've had him since November and got the female last month and the tetras this month.
I feed my fish tropical fish flakes and the bettas love it. I read that they eat dry blood worms so I got them that, but they show not interest in the worms. The tetras that are about 3 or 2 days old in my house and they also eat the flakes and not the tetra food that sinks and occasionally floats but since they are scared to do anything, they have barely eaten since I got them.

I have a sponge filter for the bigger tank but I'm not sure it does it's job... maybe it does. No heater, I don't think I can afford it now, I'm an art student and supplies are expensive, plus I think animals learn to adapt and they have to be strong.
I forgot to mention I have another 15 gallon tank were my family's old goldfish use to live and he died about 3 or 2 years ago and it's been empty ever since. I want to stock it with a nice diverse community soon.
We'll see how it goes for my fish and me. Sorry for the long read. If you read all of it thanks :D.

Back
Top Bottom