Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Rico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 29
This is awesome!!!!

I'm looking forward to chatting about aquariums, can't wait!!!
I actually have many questions. Should I just ask away lol. First time forum user. Ahhhh yes fresh newb
__________________

__________________
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,677
welcome to AA. ask away
__________________

__________________
nearly a year of complete inactivity and still over 4 posts per day. dedication, eh?
alLexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
carey's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Deltona, Florida
Posts: 20,962
Welcome to the forum!! Lots of great people here and lots of advice and information to be had!

Youre best bet is to post your questions in the appropriate forum so the most people will see it.
__________________
180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Rico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 29
Thanks guys! It's funny, 10 years ago my mother came home with a gold fish and put it in a punch bowl. Since then I've always had interest in taking care of fish but only recenty(1 year) have I got more serious about it. So now I have a 29 gallon planted tank with co2 injection. I have defiantly had my issues along the way but the tank is looking very good now. So I found a tank on a job site and am almost ready to get it going. I want to put cardinals and discuses. I have heard that they require more specific needs than the tetras and dwarf gouriami that I have now. So because of this I have decided to take more time with the tank than my first one. I am buying a multiple test kit to really make sure I do it right. So finally to my questions. Everything I learned about co2 injection I copied from my local fish store. I know that the more co2 I put into the water the lower the ph goes but I feel like there is a better way of making this calculation. Not about the ph but about how much co2 does the tank require. I was basically going to run the co2 on the new tank until I reached my desired ph but I'm not sure this is the right thing.
On a separate note I personally feel like a Siamese algae eater is vital to a planted aquarium. I had so much trouble finding them here as there are much confusion about these magnificent fish. I was able to order them from a local PET store out of all places. I bought 2 and everything was good for several months and all of a sudden they both died. I'm trying to get the same pet store to order again but they are on backorder. Is there possibilities of ordering fish and plants online???
Thanks so so so much for your time
__________________
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico View Post
Thanks guys! It's funny, 10 years ago my mother came home with a gold fish and put it in a punch bowl. Since then I've always had interest in taking care of fish but only recenty(1 year) have I got more serious about it. So now I have a 29 gallon planted tank with co2 injection. I have defiantly had my issues along the way but the tank is looking very good now. So I found a tank on a job site and am almost ready to get it going. I want to put cardinals and discuses. I have heard that they require more specific needs than the tetras and dwarf gouriami that I have now. So because of this I have decided to take more time with the tank than my first one. I am buying a multiple test kit to really make sure I do it right. So finally to my questions. Everything I learned about co2 injection I copied from my local fish store. I know that the more co2 I put into the water the lower the ph goes but I feel like there is a better way of making this calculation. Not about the ph but about how much co2 does the tank require. I was basically going to run the co2 on the new tank until I reached my desired ph but I'm not sure this is the right thing.
On a separate note I personally feel like a Siamese algae eater is vital to a planted aquarium. I had so much trouble finding them here as there are much confusion about these magnificent fish. I was able to order them from a local PET store out of all places. I bought 2 and everything was good for several months and all of a sudden they both died. I'm trying to get the same pet store to order again but they are on backorder. Is there possibilities of ordering fish and plants online???
Thanks so so so much for your time
a drop checker can be used to measure the amount of CO2 inn the water. if you dfant have one,you should get a liquid test kit.most members on here reccomend API freshwater master test kit. ordering fish and plants on;line is fine
__________________
nearly a year of complete inactivity and still over 4 posts per day. dedication, eh?
alLexX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bruinsbro1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California Coastline
Posts: 5,663
to AA!
__________________
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Rico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montreal
Posts: 29
Thanks allex but what's a drop checker. Where could I find that? And how would you know how much co2 u should b putting in the tank? is there a calculation?

Do you know of good reliable online store that sell fish and plants?
__________________
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
redsea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: United States
Posts: 8,066
Welcome! The people here are very helpful, so feel free to ask questions!
__________________
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bruinsbro1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California Coastline
Posts: 5,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico
Thanks allex but what's a drop checker. Where could I find that? And how would you know how much co2 u should b putting in the tank? is there a calculation?

Do you know of good reliable online store that sell fish and plants?
Check out severum mamas and HN1s list of fish and plants here in the Classifieds!
__________________
"If you're not making mistakes, then you're not doing anything. I'm positive that a doer makes mistakes."
--John Wooden
bruinsbro1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
needmorecowbell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: pittsburgh
Posts: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997

Check out severum mamas and HN1s list of fish and plants here in the Classifieds!
Many people say they are great and you should see their fish room. It's huge. Like 100 or so tanks lol.
__________________

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: 36'' AquaticLife 4 bulb T5HO + Lunar Lights sampster5000 Archive 0 07-29-2011 11:33 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.