tide pool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmcbob

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First of all my lady friend says i have to much time on my hands and i should go back to work ,im 66,my kids say its aulztimers ,the fact is i have this big ol den that is just 'there'.and i want to take about a 12'x17'x 20" deep part of it and turn into a fresh water tide pool,
and have the normal pond critters.at least every thing i can find in tn.
my questions are ,will a sand filter ,say 2 55gal drums of sand be enough .
and i had thought of having 200 gal of water dechorinating on the side.and will a water fall ,of sorts, put in enough air .or will i need more air.
i,m use to 75 and 100 gal, but 1400 gal i need some expert advice,
thanks bob

Hey Bob, I use a single sand filter on a 1,400g sw at work and will get you the size tomorrow as I don't remember it off the top of my head. The waterfall should be able to provide enough aeration; however, depending on access to fresh air (considering it's a den) and the size/velocity of the waterfall via pump.

When you say ' big ol den'... Is that a room in your house, as in 'I'll be in the den".. and convert 200 sq ft of that to a tidal pool with a waterfall.. inside?

amongst other things. If I even thought about it, I'd be sleeping with the fishes not the other way around

It would never solve it, it would be a never ending cycle... The dehumidifier removing the humidity then the evaporation replacing the lack of humidity, then ole Bob topping off the inner harbor.

Also wondering how to keep those 'normal pond critters' in the pond and outta the couch-n-stuff.

I must be missing something here.. or Bob is :)

Erm, the dehumidifier and the exhaust would evacuate the excess moisture and keep the air flowing out and away from the house as it would in all applications if set up properly. Rockwork and acrylic, depending on design, can be made in excess height to try and alleviate excess fish jumping. I'd go into a Bass Pro Shop, if you have one, or something similar where they might have indoor ponds so you can get a good idea of what involves such a setup.

wow,thanks for all the responses;
first, iv"e never been on the net asking for help so please bear with me ,
the den was a garage27x27.with a door into the house .as for the critter containment,the top 6"of the pool is above water and is concave and tiled.humidity i was concerned about, wasnt sure if a fan would suck it out or not.
never crossed my mind about fish jumping out ,have to study on that one .
i do have quite a cross ventilation just from normal air flow .
i was planning on pouring concrete and tiling over that.question arises , would it be harder to keep water clear if i put rocks ,dime size and smaller on bottom. i dont want to spend all my time cleaning rocks .
well again thanks again for the come back,myold brain is working over time now.

Just remember that Concrete is very porus. You will need to seal it completely to avoid having it all leach out into the surrounding floor.

Bob, the sand filter used on our 1,400g at work is the Pentair TA60/TA60D. I wish I had two on it ;)

thanks ,i will check on it tonight ,you say at work where do you work tha has one that big ,if i can be nosy.
cmcbob

Back off of Mr. Bob... I figure it's his house and if he wants to put a tide pool in his den or a lake in the basement he's a grown man and can do whatever he wants. GO BOB YOU ROCK!

The only thing I would recommend (this just from seeing what our tanks have done to the walls in such) is that you replace the regular drywall with the stuff they use in bathrooms I believe they call it Green Board but i could be wrong on that. And I would for sure get some exhaust fans (again like you would do for the bathroom). If it were me I would just figure I would need X amount of exhaust fans per Y amount of square feet. Then again I'm only going on theory here.

But again welcome to AA and Best of Luck with your project!

Back
Top Bottom