Tiger barbs with goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prateekgs555

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently added 2 tigerbarbs to a 12 gallon tank with one old goldfish and 2 new gold fishes .i dont have a heater or light .i have a water purifier with air pump built in .gold fishes looks fine but barbs always stay and swim in the bottom .they never come up to have food .they dont nick each other or gold fishes .they sometimes hide between plants .what should i do to make them active and eat food

So should i saparate tigers from gold fish .but i have only one aquarium .and they dont fight with each other

Yes, the fish need to be separated. You may need to take the Goldfish or Barbs back. Question: do you plan on a bigger tank in the future? if so, keep the Goldfish, if not keep the barbs.

Don't feel bad, that is why this forum is here. A lot of people start out in the hobby and just don't know. Pet store employees aren't much help either.

I am not planing for bigger tank .so i will keep barbs .can i use pebbels or stones with barbs and which plants would be suitable with barbs

Sorry for the slow reply: it is partial water change day. pebbles or stones are OK. Low light plants like Cryptocorynes, Java fern, Java moss, or Anubias are OK. The Crypts will need more light than the rest. What type of light do you have?

I have not used any lights for aquarium .is it necessary for barbs to have light ?if i use live plants do i have to put air pump and filter

I have not used any lights for aquarium .is it necessary for barbs to have light ?
No, it is only necessary for the live plants to have light. If you do not have proper lighting for live plants, you may just want to get an air pump and aerate.

if i use live plants do i have to put air pump and filter

Because live plants consume oxygen at night, I only aerate at night. Most likely, your lighting is not adequate for plants, so I would just aerate 24 hours a day and skip the plants.

I have put 6 tiger barbs in one tank .at first they ran all around the tank but now they swim only at the bottom and when i put food pellets they dont recognise it .they wont come and feed on it .what to do

Need more information. What is your ammonia level? What is your Nitrite level? What is your Nitrate level? What is the temperature? What is the pH? How long has the tank been setup?

12 gallons is a fairly small tank. I usually recommend a 30g or larger for Tiger Barbs as they do best in large groups. I usually recommend 8 or more. They get very nippy and big groups help them not damage each other. They also get 3" each. That's too big for a small tank.

Read these basic requirements
http://m.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+2855+993&pcatid=993

Did you add a heater ? Tiger Barbs would do well at 76-78°F

I would return the Tiger Barbs. Test your water. Do water changes with Prime and get a heater.

You can do 1 Betta

Or you could do a group of White Clouds if you don't want to heat the tank. They stay small.

Or if it's heated you could get a light, grow some easy plants and have a group of Neons. Maybe 6 ?

IMG_2608.jpg

Back
Top Bottom