Tight like Fort Knox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rare

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Got to say the security here is top notch. lol I just joined two days ago and I guess I hit refresh too many time as I was trying to upload the pics and they marked me "my activity as suspicious. lol Good deal here. I finally got the green light today...so thanks for ziggy the mod I believe in the chatroom if he got me in.

Well, just jumped on board so, hello everyone! About 2 weeks ago I walked in to a pet store & somehow I came out with a 50g fish tank. :whistle:Worry not, I'm doing the fishless cycle and so far in about 12+ days the tank is going through the cycled. Just yesterday ammonia dropped to about 2ppm and was slowly dropping and I said what the heck and tested for nitrate was surprised it at 5.0ppm and I missed it *lol* and tested for Nitrate at 10ppm. Skip to day the Ammonia is gone, nitrate 5.0+ and nitrate at 40/80ppm.

I'm in no rush & working OT to make sure I have everything up and running correct and then some before the fish goes in & before I posted anything to make sure I understood what I was doing and why. I wanted things to be hard now so it will be easier for later for me when I have fish you can say. It was going to start with just red cap goldfish and a friend made sure I went the cichlid route and that is the way I'm going now and I’m glad.

So far, I have a 50g tank, Emperor 400 bio wheel which I tweak just a bit with bio balls if you can call it that, a fluval heater with temps set at 80-81, egg crate in there for Texas Holey Rock (as I look for them at a good price :ermm:) and got pool sand as my choice. Only a very, very small section of pool sand went inside as I want to set the rocks up on the egg crate. I think that about it for now but I do know the direction I'm going as far as filter and the whole 9. I guess that's for another time!

Thanks everyone for the welcome! Don't mind the funny bubble makers in the tank as the is only for the cycle and dont be wowed about everything else thats not in there. lol Now if you look at the test below you will see where I am at. The ammonia has gone down (not in this pic) to zero. Right now it's at .25 (what's in the tap water) Nitrite at 5+ and Nitrate about 80+ppm. This is after I did a PWC. I know some say do, some say dont do a PWC, wait till the end when it has cycled. I believe the nitrite was glowing in color purple, sort of..lol and the reason for PWC

So, I wanted to bring it down to a color I can see at least on the chart and why I did a PWC today. I did 2 water change. First is when the ammonia was a strong green as I over dosed. I twasnt a green on the chart colors. So on day 3 of the cycle I did the PWC and it came down to a 4ppm. Ammonia

For here on out I will give about 2-3ml of ammonia and wait 24 hrs. Check the ammonia if it went down. Check the nitrite & nitrates. Any input/feed back will be great. In 24hrs from the last test the ammonia did go down, but the nitrite where still that same color you see now.

This is the ammonia I'm using. No foams when I made it shake..lol

About 13+ days into it

Back
Top Bottom