TOTAL Newbie here!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RooRoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone! Happy to be here. This seems to be a very active forum!! I am an absolute newbie to fish keeping, never had an aquarium before, ever. I have been doing tons of research on the net, from books, and have been a fixture in the local pet shops questioning everyone I can! :eek:) That all has brought me here.

I currently have nothing, and am in the process of shopping for a tank/stand. I found a combo at Petsmart that interests me, however I am not sure because of its dimensions. It is a 60 gallon Marineland tank, it is only 12 inches wide, so it is very tall and skinny. I'm not the tallest person, and was thinking it could be difficult to clean and maintain. I have also been told that being tall and skinny reduces surface area and that will reduce quality of water and the oxygenation. Any thoughts on that? Any thoughts on a good starter tank for a total newcomer?

I am thinking Platies, Tetras, smaller schooling fish. I considered a Barb tank, but I'm not sure I want just one species. Any advice on peaceful tankmates is welcome. I'm glad to be here, and hope to meet some new friends who can help me along the way!!

Welcome to AA! You'll definately learn from the best...
I just started here a couple weeks ago (complete newbie to any fish... now I'm in love with goldfish) and I've been able to make up for my mistakes, and am establishing an awesome tank :D
You're so smart to do your research before hand... I wish I did that :( Oh well, live and learn.
So I'm not an expert, and don't know much about community fish yet, but from what i've heard, if you want an aquarium, long ones are better than tall. Most fish would prefer to have more surface area to swim instead of swimming up and down. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure thats right... And that way you can stock more fishies :D
Be greatful you have a petsmart, I live in a small town where the biggest tank I could find was a 60gallon. I'm going to need to special order my tanks from now on :( anyways, good luck and happy fishkeeping :D
I'd recommend posting your questions under the getting started freshwater forum :)

Welcome to AA! :D

Don't forget to cycle your tank first before adding fish. I'm using the App and don't know how to add a link to the "nitrogen cycle". Can somebody give him a link to that please. Thx.

Thanks GoldfishNewbie! I was thinking the same thing about surface area being better than height, so hey, maybe two newbies do know something! HaHaHa

We have a Petsmart and a Petco, but they are about 40 minutes from my house, so they aren't too convenient. I didn't think we had any lfs either, but a friend of mine reminded me about a small shop about 20 minutes away, so we are going to check it out tomorrow!!

been researching the cycle thing a lot roydooms. I'm sure I will be back here with a zillion questions when I fianlly pick out a tank and start to cycle it. I am normally the most impatient impulsive person ever, but I am impressing myself with this whole fish keeping thing. I've been researching for weeks now, and haven't bought a thing! Checking out a new shop tomorrow, so hopefully I will finally find a tank and stand.

I don't really know where you live, but if its anywhere like the middle of nowhere like me, taking the 40 minutes would totally be worth it if it had what you needed. Maybe it's just my overpriced town. But I can't get ahold of anything fish related without overpaying... a lot. My previously used 50 gal tank I bought was $250, only the tank and lid/light. no stand, nothing else... just that. But I hope that store works out for you :D

I also live in the middle of nowhere! And you're right, 40 minutes is not bad at all, worth it, but still not as convenient as a store in my own little town would be. I will keep you posted on our shopping adventure tomorrow. Afterward we are stopping by some friends to check out their new 55 gal SW setup, should be a good day.

Is that 40 minutes round trip? Where I live, petco and petsmart is only a minute drive but I go to this breeder to buy fish. He also orders fish and plants to sell. It's an hour drive(one way) but it is totally worth it. I know that what I am getting is in great condition/quality.

No, it's 40 min one way. We actually drove about an hour and a half the other day to check out a place, but wasn't impressed at all, not worth the drive at all. Sure wish we had more places to choose from.

RooRoo said:
No, it's 40 min one way. We actually drove about an hour and a half the other day to check out a place, but wasn't impressed at all, not worth the drive at all. Sure wish we had more places to choose from.

Check craigslist. Some breeders will post fish for sale. Talk to them. I met a breeder that introduced me to another, so on so fort. Now I know where to get good fish, plants, etc. A little pricey but worth it. Best of luck! :)

Craigslist,great idea, forgot about that. I did get to check out that other store today, and I will definately be returning! They have a huge variety, and nice looking fish. Lots of equipment and supplies too. I passed on a tank set up today, and I am already kicking myself in the butt for it. That's what I get for being so indecisive I guess. Seems everytime I stop into a shop though, I either learn something, or find something else I want. This trip was no exception. I definately decided I want a glass top! Wow, couldn't beleive how awesome they look compared to the standard black plastic hoods! I am sold on those for sure!

Walmart has a 29g starter tank for 99.00
Petsmart has a 55g starter for around 170.00 I believe
Petsmart also has a 29g starter but it's a little more ... pricey... I would recommend a starter kit because buying things separately seems to be more expensive In my opinion... I'm pretty new at this myself...

Flossie said:
Walmart has a 29g starter tank for 99.00
Petsmart has a 55g starter for around 170.00 I believe
Petsmart also has a 29g starter but it's a little more ... pricey... I would recommend a starter kit because buying things separately seems to be more expensive In my opinion... I'm pretty new at this myself...

But then you can customize! Lol, sounds like your off to a great start OP. It's better to start big, since the stupid water parameters don't fluctuate so bad like they do on say... A ten gallon.

Back
Top Bottom