Total rookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaisyFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well, when's talk about my tank on here, right now, that is really my son's tank. He is 13 and wanted a fish tank for his birthday so... Anyway, when things go wrong, he gets upset and frustrated and I must help him.

We just finished a horrible round of ich and subsequent bacterial infection. There is quite a learning curve to this hobby, but we are getting better. We lost a lot of fish, leaving only four zebra danios and one ghost shrimp. Today we added a Gold Algae Eater (which apparently will likely need to be rehomed at some point) and three danio glo-fish. Remember... My son's tank, so... His choice.

One of the fish we originally lost, actually, the first fish we had was a female betta. Loved her. Just... Absolutely loved her. I actually cried when she died. I would very much like to get a new one at some point. Can anyone see any problem with that? My primary concern is the algae eater.

Also, we welcome suggestions for future tank mates. We do not want to add any live-bearers, as we have well water and it is rather soft, which may have contributed to our problems I am told.

I can't seem to update my profile on the app, but in a nutshell, we have a 20 gallon tank, artificial plants and some decorations for hiding, etc. you already know the current inhabitants. Water chemistry has been spot-on throughout our ordeal, which was the only positive thing. Thanks for letting me ramble. :D

Yes the golden algae eater will need to be rehomed

2. Do you have an API master test kit if not it is a must for a serious fish keeper it's only like 20 bucks on amazon.

Also welcome to the forum

Well, thank you for the welcome. I appreciate it. Right now the algae eater is minding his own business, but I am not impressed with his algae eating. I'm going to give him more time. We shall see. Can you suggest any other good tank mates for our friends with fins?

The algae eater is actually not an "algae" eater he mainly eats the slime coat off other fish. After you tank had been running for 6-7 months dwarf ontlictus (spelling?) are the best algae eater around

Back
Top Bottom