Tropical Fish Keeper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holtie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!

I am a beginner where Tropical fish are concerned, along with my daughter. We currently have a 60L tank which is home to Black-Skirted Tetras, Golden Barbs, Gouramis and Mollies. We did have a Pleco and a Silver Shark but these were re-homed as they were outgrowing the tank.

The Filter we use is the Fluval U2 Internal Underwater and have had this for six months but unfortunately, recently it seems to only work intermittently. I have sussed it out to be the small 'fan' that is situated under the middle container which houses the Biomax Bio rings.

I am debating whether to contact the seller of this filter and see what result I will have or would anyone recommend an external filter? I have read that the Eheim is a good external one.

Your advice would be really appreciated!
Thank you for reading :)

Hi and welcome! Unfortunately your overstocked for your tank space and underfiltered. At the very least I would add more filtration; an Aquaclear 50 or 70 would do. You'll need to upgrade the tank size for those fish in the long-run though.

Hi and welcome! Unfortunately your overstocked for your tank space and underfiltered. At the very least I would add more filtration; an Aquaclear 50 or 70 would do. You'll need to upgrade the tank size for those fish in the long-run though.

Yep librarygirl is right, I dont know your financial situation but a larger tank will be needed for alot of those fish you mentioned. The u2 has barely any room for media 2 prefilter sponges either side and a small plastic case for bio nodes/balls. Not bad for an internal for a lightly stocked 60. What pleco do you have?

If youre looking for a canister for the 60. I would recommend an eheim 2213 as it would be more than adequate filtration for any (suitable) fish for a 60L

I run actually run a U4 along side an eheim 2213 on my understocked 200L (52g) Dwarf mbuna species tank consisting of 10 fish.

I would actually get in contact with fluval and try to have your u2 fixed or replaced, buy an aquaclear like librarygirl said and try to find a cheap find on a larger tank. If i remember the U series have a 2yr garantee and at least 1yr so its definitely worth a go.

Thought id wack a picture up cause im proud of the rock scape ive done for it. Dont know if you can see the u4 at the top right above the 2213 intake though.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1389577165196.jpg
    1389577165196.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 91
Dear librarygirl,

Thank you so much for your welcome and your advice!
I willl certainly look in to getting another filter as recommended - I omitted to mention that I have two Gourami, three Black-skirted Tetras, two Golden Barbs and one Mollie. Is this still considered 'over-stocked'?

Have a good day!

:)

Yep librarygirl is right, I dont know your financial situation but a larger tank will be needed for alot of those fish you mentioned. The u2 has barely any room for media 2 prefilter sponges either side and a small plastic case for bio nodes/balls. Not bad for an internal for a lightly stocked 60. What pleco do you have?

If youre looking for a canister for the 60. I would recommend an eheim 2213 as it would be more than adequate filtration for any (suitable) fish for a 60L

I run actually run a U4 along side an eheim 2213 on my understocked 200L (52g) Dwarf mbuna species tank consisting of 10 fish.

I would actually get in contact with fluval and try to have your u2 fixed or replaced, buy an aquaclear like librarygirl said and try to find a cheap find on a larger tank. If i remember the U series have a 2yr garantee and at least 1yr so its definitely worth a go.

Thought id wack a picture up cause im proud of the rock scape ive done for it. Dont know if you can see the u4 at the top right above the 2213 intake though.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Dear Molliwopp,
All your advice has been taken on board and I will be doing my 'homework/research' very soon!
I have replied to librarygirl's post stating how many fish I have - is this still considered to be 'overstocked'?
Wow! Your tank looks brilliant!! I can just about see the filter.

Thank you for taking the time to read my thread and imparting great advice :)
I am stumped on the pleco! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom