Tropical newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Mumma and Fishie. I'll check the link you sent.

Thanks Redsea.
My first tank arrives tomorrow and I can't wait to get started. Spent the last 4 hours washing 25kg of sand and still have another bag to go at yet..... Boring job but gobsmacked at how dirty the water was. Soaked my pieces of wood yesterday. Just waiting for a few more bits to arrive so I can get it ready to fill with water. Am thinking of fish-less cycling at the minute but have been getting mixed views on fish or fish-less cycling but I guess it's down to me to decide.

I'm thinking, poor little fishes swimming in their own p

I've never done a fishless so I can't really comment but I have done multiple fish in cycles and I can tell you if done correctly (regular testing and water changes) not one fish will come to harm. :)

Thanks for that. I think I'll go that way. No idea what fish I'm gonna go for though, haven't started looking yet.

Welcome!

I'm in the same boat as Mumma.of.two, there are a some people that think fishless is the only way to go. Personally I've never done one so I always say that if you're committed to frequent PWC's you can do fish in. You could start with a decent school of some hardy Tetras, Danios, etc. to cycle it.

Hi.
Someone else has mentioned starting with tetras. Thanks for the advise.

I'd start off with 4-6 and go from there. You don't want too many fish to begin with because ammonia and nitrite will rise too quickly and it will be a nightmare keeping it down. If you can get some seeded media (used filter media) it will help jump start the cycle and cut the cycling time. Once the tank is fully cycled (4-8 weeks average) then you can slowly add more fish.

Thanks Mumma, tank has just been delivered so will give it a clean and start setting it up tonight. Can't wait..!!

Back
Top Bottom