Trying so hard to save this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would avoid citrus, but melon is a great choice and my goldfish love it. The spinach is also a great choice. Maybe some bloodworms would help him put on weight?

I was warned to be careful about feeding too many peas to my goldfish, as they can run through the digestive system too quickly. Great to solve constipation but not as a regular diet

Have you looked into home made fish food? I believe it is like a jelly?

Fish laying on the side or belly up is a symptom of shock, either chemistry or temperature.
Perhaps there's a multitude of symptoms for as many issues? It seems like it, and it seems like it was an act of nature! An under nourished fish (after winter, perfectly normal) gets whacked with a cold spell........here we are talking about it.

From a cold water pond to an in house tank. How long was the fish acclimated for?

That could cause further shock. I think I read 10 degrees every 18 hours or something along those lines for pond fish being over wintered in weather shielded vats, but don't quote me on that. It is a much longer time than I was expecting to see.

Now that shock could be the trigger which allowed a bacterial infection to manifest itself.

If it still eats, it isn't game over.

Edit.
(From the bookshelf)
Fish which have starved for a long period of time may be susceptible to certain vitamin deficiencies, especially water-soluble vitamins which are not stored in the fish's tissues.

I will look into homemade never knew that..... also it took along time for the water to get to room temperature it was a few days. He is eating I'll try the bacteria .. I have Melafix fish first aid ... is that good or do I need something better?

I don't know the formula for American meds. I'm an English ....!
I have asked both in public and in private for assistance.
I'm doing the best I can for you but really the person dealing with this should have hands on with koi.

Perhaps I wouldn't use melafix. The fish has enough to deal with.
Ich meds may not be of any use either..... What is the active ingredient?

If the fish takes food, keep feeding a vit enriched diet. From the info I have, specifically vit E. Feed more than normal, like a few times a day instead of once.
Lots of meals but keep check on water parameters, ammonia etc.
Don't panic and start chucking your entire arsenal of meds at it.
Look at the symptoms and target each. You'll only be wasting time and money and could possibly compound the problem. You'll end up not knowing what to do.

Another thing. Take notes of what you're doing. Write a description of changes to the fish etc. you may need the info in a few years, or somebody else might benefit from it too.

Tetra fungas guard is my choice for fungal/bacterial infection

It turns the water green, because one ingredient is a variant of malachite green....but it's a good med to keep on hand. It does claim to treat swim bladder disease, mainly because swim bladder can be caused by bacteria,fungus. In your case, I think that shock is the culprit, so I wouldn't run off for the med

I agree though....feeding is most important at this moment.

There's a recipe for a paste food at cuteness.com

I googled home made koi food

Ick has ...water , formaldehyde 5% or less and methanol 2% and malachite green chloride .1%

Be careful how you use this information.
Summary.

Formalin and malachite are very effective against chilodonella.
Formaldehyde and methanol= formalin.
Malachite is more toxic in more acidic water. (Perhaps buffer Kh? Depending on current pH)
Also the mix (formalin/malachite) removes oxygen from the water so vigorous aeration is of paramount importance during use. Add air and lots of it, if possible lift filter return to just about the air/water interface to increase surface area. (So it flows out across but not quite above the waterline)

Malachite is also more lethal with higher temperatures, which is compounded by the fact that higher temperature water can hold less oxygen. So be careful.

Weigh the fish. This way you can see if the feeding is helping. If it's putting weight on ignore the above. Take notes!

Do not mix medications.
Follow the instructions to the letter. (It's easy to kill a fish with this stuff)
Be accurate with dosage and water volume.

Back
Top Bottom