Trying so hard to save this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now his alkalinity is too low ugh. Another trip to the store where is the thread link?

Here is the link
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Also, slow down, what is the alkalinity level at?

If you have been using your water all along... just keep using it. There are other things you can do, with out needing to use pH up or other kinds of chemical products, I am not saying don't ever do that, but it is better for the fish to have a constant water parameter, like hardness or alkalinity than differing all the time.

So staying with the water you have COULD be better for the fish than trying to change it all the time.

Let me check that I just did a 20 % water change. I'll just keep doing that as his ammonia is still up He is doing like hiccups I'm not sure what that means ... we just hooked up a new filter for this 10 gallon tank ... we didn't have a filter for it ... there was nothing in the store for alkalinity maybe because there was no filter today that brought the ammonia up? But the 55 had filter and we couldn't get the ammonia down on that tank either. This fish is making ammonia Ok brb checking alkalinity

Alkalinity I'm not sure if it's a 30 or 50 it didn't match the 40 and it's lighter than the 60

If you are using test strips which brand, so I can search for a chart?

The bigger tank would be fine if you finish rinsing and get it filled up. With fresh water.

You didn't say what if anything you are using on your well water to make it safe to drink, UV, chemical, - what?, or ???

Those fish are ammonia making factories!!! That 10G could kill him just on how fast he can produce it and how little water there is in there.

I'm filling the 55 now and our drinking water is safe we have two filters on it I just tested the ammonia and it's in the yellow safe area :) the 5 in 1 strips are all good except the alkalinity could be higher

Ok update: he ate peas today and could swallow them! I'm doing two water changes a day I hope it goes all night with out getting so toxic ... he is still falling over but is excited to try and eat and keep up right as long as he can .. I am grateful to you Autumnsky :) ty for having patients and for your knowledge and helping out ... he is so skinny I almost gave up ...we did a salt bath to and that seemed to help him a lot . I moved him back and forth in the salt bath to get it into his gills. He is better! My hope has returned :) yay!

I am so glad to hear.

Can you see if any little worms or bug like /other parasites crawling around in the gills, mouth eyes, scales, anus? Just to make sure that isn't an issue.

I don't see anything on or in his mouth but his gill has a big flap his anus looks clean but I haven't seen any poop yet...he is still breathing heavy but not as bad as he was. Question I put in ammonia clear last night and his tank was perfect this morning ... do u know how long that will last? How often should I test for ammonia His color was better last night then today

I meant his fins were a pretty pink and today they are a dull pink

Is he in the 10 or 55G now?

These fish can pee their weight in expelled water I can't remember if it is up to 3x.. Don't recall the amount but I think for sure at least their weight that is alot of ammonia, so it is important to keep the water checked and clean.

And from what I can understand the filter isn't cycled yet????

No I only pulled the tank out to save him ... so there is no gravel and I put up a second filter cuz one filter isn't working good but since we cleaned the tank with high concentration of salt water it isn't getting dirty like it was before that... I did buy biological stuff to add to the tank because it's not cycled yet

And my husband washed the filter in the bathroom sink before I caught him to stop him :(

He is in the 55 from now on we only use the 10 for salt baths which we do 8 mins. He perked up after the last bath. But we can't do another one till 24 hours are up. Then I read if I do 2 mins we can do it more often .. what do u think is better? 2 mins more often or every 24 hours ...

I would add some beneficial bacteria to help manage the ammonia and establish the filters that you have added

My lfs suggested this one for my tank during my ammonia crisis Image1490639285.168215.jpg

If you use Prime, I know that Seachem Stability works in cooperation with it to establish a healthy tank:)

Back
Top Bottom