Trying so hard to save this fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmj049

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can someone tell me if a fish can have to much oxygen under them. One of his gills stopped working. So I got the stone right under him. I don't want to loose him. Is there any advice please?

Once one side of gills shut down can I possible get it to work again?

What kind of fish SW /FW? and what are the tank parameters.

Do you see any worms or lice type parasites on the fish, around the gills?

Was this fish exposed to NitrIte, ammonia, Chlorine/Chloramines?

Some back ground would help.

It's a koi as long as my forearm I did salt baths and the gill started to work again. He is not keeping any food down the tank is a 55 gallon ... he is in a big net right now and is still so sick. I started him on meds that you dose every day ... I have a water test kit and his water was always perfect. Sad I don't know how to deal with this I bought fish store garlic to soak his food in. But it seems he can't swallow :(

We don't have stones in any of the tanks. So I do t think so. He is around 10 years old

I think he was so sick he couldn't eat his color was-gone today but I think it's coming back. He is up down up down ... I got food into him a day ago but most came out Today all came out .. I won't give up I hope he don't either I have a medicine in the tank that I was dosing him wrong. Today I'm on track with the right way and I hope this is now going to be all positive for him ...

What are the water parameters? Ammonia poisoning has a side effects lethargy, sitting on the bottom off the tank, of burning gills.

Did you try cooked peas?

Is he pooping? clear, white stringy?

What is the medicine?

I haven't seen a poop yet it's been two weeks he tips sideways I did water test and there is no ammonia test on the test strips How do I test that? I try to get food in him and it comes back out but I think he gets some food. He is trying to keep himself up and he does for like 20 mins then he turns sideways again I'll go to the store and look for ammonia test. Geeese I wish I knew that sooner. Ty for helping !

The med is melafix and I have cycle Fluval concentrated biological booster

Yes I tried cooked peas. We change the water a lot so we don't think it's ammonia but I'll get a kit on that .. we bought a new filter flow valve or something and it's supposed to be the best filter they make and it's terrible it won't even keep the fish tank clean we have to change the water all the time

He became sick when the temp went down in the teens

I'm so sorry to hear about this happening. Sorry that I can't give any good advice but anyways best of luck to you and your fish.

Ty :) he did have ammonia not drastic but did have some so hopefully this will help knowing this and treating it. :) Being (Well )water we thought it wouldn't have ammonia...

I just tested the tank after treating it 4 hours ago and I must of did the test wrong cuz it's in the danger zone so I threw in another tablet that is 5 tablets ... how long do I wait to test it again anyone? It's has 50 gallons of water in it The tablets are Ammonia Clear

So can you test your tap water and see if there is ammonia in it?

If not or say .25, removing the water from the tank in the danger zone is perhaps more
easily done than adding tablets, and there is other danger that the water has NitrItes in it and could also have NitrAtes, can be injurous to the fish.

What is it that you use to make your well water safe to drink? Does it go through a UV treatment or have something else?

If you have a safe unchemical or chlorinated treatment, change the water as soon as you can.

Issues with well water, I only am familiar with a few, are heavy metals in the ground which can be found from natural mineral sources, or from contamination.

Well water treatment used is water softener, removal of minerals calcium and magnesium, which help fish with osmoregulation in their bodys, addition of salt, not helpful for fish to thrive, not having the other necessary minerals.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/wells/treatment.html

I am a bad fish mom! You saved my fish! After a 25 % water change last night the water didn't get much better .. so this morning we transferred him to a new 10 gallon tank and treated the water properly and he's already breathing better... this is where the bad mom comes in .. we washed the 55 gallon tank with vinegar thinking that was organic and safe well my husband told me that when you said about the ammonia vinegar is part of the ammonia family so we think the whole tank was contaminated for the last two weeks that we had no idea until you mentioned ammonia .. I tested my tap water and it's perfect no ammonia so he's in there right now and he's breathing better and I wanted to say thank you for opening our eyes and I just feel terrible what I put this fish through :(... we are now running a whole lot of salt water through the filter and 55 tank hoping to get this tank back into proper working order ... we will run the heavy salt water until tomorrow to really give it a cleaning. I hope that we didn't ruin the tank . Ty again I think he is looking better :)

Vinegar is an excellent cleaner I like to use baking soda too which gives it the fizz and mild cleaning of the particles. But must be cleaned out really well. Ynder the top edges of the tank, there always seems to get some caught an using spray works well to get the to corners and edges.

If there,was some viegar left in there it also changes the pH which can become highly stressful and worse.

Another thing is about your filter?
Check the thread link for an article about getting started. It has some good info, but also it discusses the cycle of nitrification. Critical for stable fish tank health.

Back
Top Bottom