Trying To Learn

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janalee626

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am a fish fanatic and currently have 12 fish tanks, all freshwater. Saltwater has always been my first love but finances and space have kept me from getting started on one. I'll be able to in about 6 months and untill then I want to keep learning as much as I can.I want to learn everything I possibly can about saltwater creatures and keeping saltwater aquariums, I've even made flashcards to help me study the different types of fish, invertabrits, and corals. I'm looking for information on the pros and cons of using different systems and equipment, and not just "this ones better" I want to know WHY it's better.
I'm also looking for a lot of information on corals and their care, if anyone has any tips on identifying corals that would be awesome, trying to tell them apart is gonna take along time to master but anything helps :)
So anything at all having to do with setting up a tank, maintaining it, and whatever your gonna stock it with. I have a lot of experience with fresh but non with salt, I'm not to interested in exactly what I need to do to set up my tank but that will come later.
I'm hoping this will help me get started on this site and figure out the right questions I need to ask to learn as much usefully and interesting information as I can.
Thank you!

Hi there welcome to AA! :) nice to see another person coming to the saltwater side. I'm a big coral fan so ill try and help you out. Classifying corals by their common names isn't to difficult but classifying by scientific name can be kind of hard, especially in acroporid species. There are three hobby defined groups of coral. The soft corals which do not build a calcium carbonate skeleton. Lps (large polyp stony) corals and sps (small polyp stony) corals which do. Care and lighting needs generally increase as you go from softies-lps-sps. The only exceptions are azooxanthellae corals which are non photosynthetic and require no light. However these require feedings and are not for beginners. I hope that helped some.

Back
Top Bottom