Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Very excited to have discovered this hobby!

Hello, all! This obsession began with a little 6 gallon eclipse in my office and 3 angelfish--I moved from fake plants to real (I had terrific luck!). I had a tank when I was a teenager - goldfish, with an undergravel filter--not the best smelling but the new filters are incredible!

So, a few days ago I was speaking with a client about wanting to purchase a large one for my home, and he told me he had a 3 year old 40 gallon bowfront and all new accessories - and he sold it to me for $100--I was up at 4:30 this a.m. working on it!

So here is what I have: a 40 gallon, glass bowfront tank, an Empire filter, a 200 watt Rena heater, and of course a Rena air pump.

I chose Caribsea Tropic white sand because my home is in tropic, plus I love salt water fish but wouldn't dare go there yet. I rinsed it in a large pan, only 2 pounds at a time, I used 60 pounds total so there is about an inch and a half layer at the bottom. The tank of course is very cloudy, as the sand is fine. Any idea as to when it will clear up, or things I can do to help it out? Should I be running the filter? I've heard they can get broken - but my intake is high enough from the bottom so it wouldn't pick up clumps of it... second question is one that I get different answers everyone I ask - If I've placed a start up bacteria and a dechlorifyer into the tank, how long before I can place fish into it? and finally, last question--I'd like to put cichlids into the tank...in one that large, could I also put angelfish? How many fish can I have?

Thank you for anyone's help!

Old 05-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

Welcome to the site!!!

What a great deal you got on all that stuff.

The sand will settle over time, just give it a little bit. Since all your equipment is new, there's no point really in running the filter just yet, give the sand a day or so to settle out first.

What "start-up bacteria" are you talking about using? Almost all of the stuff you get from the LFS for instant cycling is junk and won't work. There's 1 exception, Bio-Spira, but even it's hit or miss. I highly recommend you read this article before doing anything.

Depending on the type of cichlids you want, most likely mixing them with angelfish isn't a great idea. Most cichlids are aggressive, and angelfish are much more laid back, so it's not a good mix usually.

Old 05-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cichlids...

The kind I want are the bright yellow and bright purple - I'm trying to mimic a salterwater tank here...what size should I buy them, and how many? I'd like a really active, fun tank...

Yes, wasn't that an incredible deal? But do you suggest switching out the biowheel to new ones, or are the existing ones ok?

And the hood only has one light, but I'd like to create lighting that makes a "glow" effect - any suggestions there? Thank You!
Old 05-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Sorry I dont know much about Brackish water but just wanted to say welcome to the site. Glad you are aboard.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
Sliced Bread

Cichlids arent brackish, so I think we're set there.

The cichlids you mentioned wouldn't go well with angelfish. If you read up on them, they can be quite aggressive and need to be kept only with other cichlids.

I assume the biowheel is all dried out now. If that's the case, I would start with all new, fresh media for the filtration.

If you want to add some "pop" to the colors in your fish, you could look into getting a second lighting fixture and using an actinic bulb. While these bulbs are really for SW use, theres no harm running them on FW tanks and they do help to pop the colors out of your fish.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to the site!

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:32 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

HI acnuno25. welcome to the forum. That's an incredible deal. Be sure to read the sticky Getting Started in the freshwater forum. it helps a lot of those beginner questions.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just wanted to welcome you to Aquarium Advice - the people here are great and I am sure the will guide you through your setup with minimum discomfort - Patience and Time are the key ingredients to any successful tank
Old 05-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

The sand will settle as it gets coated with bacteria. That makes the grains just havy enough yo settle instead of staying in suspension. If you are runing your filter during this time you need to take it apart and clean it when everything is settled. Grains of sand can get into the moving parts and cause premature wear if you don't wash them out of there. Good luck with your new obsession and ....

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Welcom to AA!

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com