visions of salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

etemp714

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, new guy here. New to forums pretty much in general. I was looking through pictures of sump tanks last night and I came across a thread on a reef build. I ended up spending the next 3 hours straight reading through this forum. I found it very information and inspiring. I am a noob in the fish world. Ive been runnning a cichlid tank for the last couple months. I built my own stand and canopy, which I learned alot about do's and dont do's for the next build. I have been scouting LFS and I am currently trying to plan out a reef build in hopefully the near future. So im gonna look around and hopefully gain knowledge here and eventually jump in and get my feet wet in this forum. So ill see ya around:fish2:

Hello. Good job researching. Research until you know the do(s) and dont(s) forward, backward, reverse, and upside down. You'll end up with LONG-term success, which many hobbyist do not achieve.

Welcome to our wacky corner of the web :)

Hope you enjoy your stay, give it a week and you'll be hooked!!!

Its crazy, ive been doing the freshwater thing for a min but im just blown away by the difference in fresh vs. salt. I want a large salt tank but my lease only allows me to have a 20 gal. tank since im on the second floor. I have been looking all over the internet for deals and im thinking im gonna start piecing my components one by one over time until i can setup a big tank with a sump. everyone i talk to says it doesnt pay to build with cheap components so ill take my time and get all the right stuff but im curious what i can do now to get my feet wet and start a small tank. What would you guys recommend doing?

ive now started a thread about a small tank build elsewhere in the forums, so check it out there, but feel free to stop in and say hey whenever, i have alot of questions lol

Good luck with the tank

I recently got into saltwater and have enjoyed it thouroughly. My tank is a 30 but I plan to move to a 90 in the near future. I figured if I can keep my 30 stable without problems, moving to the 90 will be easier.

You can get a 20gal setup going pretty quick with minimal expense. I started mine with simple equipment, I kept it simple and my tank is rock solid. Some might say the way I have it setup is wrong or that I am using the wrong equipment but it has worked and all is well.

I have 20lbs of live sand and 30lbs of live/base rock, my tank cycled and my fish are doing great. If you are new to saltwater, like I said keep it simple and see if you truly enjoy and can deal with the maintenance that comes with it. If you can keep that 20 running good, you can certainly keep a larger one going.

Back
Top Bottom