Wall mounted aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mako414

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello everyone, i am surely a newbie, i only had an aquarium once, some years ago and had to abandon when i moved house. I have recently saw adverts about the wall mounted ones. I am very much interested in buying one, cause apart that they look fantastic, these types eliminate the problem of not having any space for a traditional one. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Mako, I've seen a 'picture-frame' style, but it drastically limits what livestock you can have. A friend was talking about exactly that, until he found out the drawbacks, namely the small quantity of water which is IMO more difficult to look after. I would be looking at what furniture you can do without to make space for a big tank :)

Thanks AquaOne for your reply. The fact that it limits what livestock you can have doesn't really bother me that much cause i was only thinking of putting small fish like tetras, more the fact that because of the small quantity of water it is more difficult to look after, which is really bothering me. Is it really a big problem?

Yes, the smaller the quantity of water, the quicker things can "go south". There are numerous posts on forums of people who got a small tank and then one day they woke up and all the fish were dead. This is because toxins build up much quicker in a smaller tank, and thus the smaller the tank the harder the maintenance. Depending on exactly how big/small the tank is you could end up doing maintenance twice a week or more. I agree with AquaOne, if you have room, go for at least a 10 gallon. That's just my two cents.

Yes, cleaning can be a bit of a job, unless you can take the tank/picture off the wall. Trouble then is even with not much water will be the weight. Think about say a 4g wall-mount tank, at about 10lbs per gallon, alright if you're a body-builder ! Check your wall is capable of carrying 40lb (don't fit to a plaster-board wall !). Are you thinking about what piece of furniture will have to go yet ?

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am still considering the picture frame or wall mounted, whatever they call it, aquarium!! mainly because my wife really liked it. Does anybody know anyone who owns one?

Just a suggestion for you if space is an issue. Have you thought about the coffee table aquariums? They only take up the space that you would have a table any way and they are much more versatile and you don't have the water problem that you have with the thin wall mounted type of aquariums.
Plus the table aquariums look really cool. You can even get matching end tables but all three would be a bit much.

wow wendi, these are really cool as well. Thanks i'll be surely telling the missus about these types too.

wow wendi, these are really cool as well. Thanks I'll be surely telling the missus about these types too.

I'm really glad you like them. I would love to get a coffee table aquarium myself but I already have 4 tanks. And what I need is a 75g and a 90g tank to replace 2 of my 55g tanks.
The coffee tables are smaller than 55g, but still a descent enough size.
So that you can fit more than 3-4 really small fish in it. Where even the 3-4 really small fish is still pushing it with one the wall hanging units.

Back
Top Bottom