Wassuuup?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Somebody just posted GE silicone 1 or two was good. But only windows and doors kind???

That's what I got. It's in there now. Man, I hope it holds water, and if it doesn't I sure hope it's easier to clean out than the old stuff was.

Did you look up how to do it? Or just go for it?
I mean it seems pretty straight forward but you never know

Yeah I looked it up, it's pretty much like any other caulking job. Just that if this one fails you could have 50 gallons of water in your floor.:eek:

YES. Looks like it's gonna work. Came home and set it up on the back porch with dry cardboard under it and filled it up with a hose. If it leaks shouldn't have any trouble seeing it. It's holding.

Well, I put PFS in it and filled it up today. It's very cloudy. I thought I had it rinsed out well enough, but apparently not. Picked up an Aquaclear 70 for it today.

You might wanna wait to run the filter till the sandiness settles because I've heard of it gritting up the filter and messing it up

YES! I didn't want to run my new Aquaclear in it, so I hooked up the used Whisper 20-40 that came with the tank for a while and the wife complained about the noise (it was loud). So I waited until it was a little less cloudy and tried the Aquaclear and let it run an hour or so. Well it got plenty of fine sand in it so I cleaned it out and the tank is just sitting there now. I put a double dose of Clarity in it, we'll see.

The Aquaclear does run very quiet! It moves a lot of water though, even on low. I'm gonna have to see if I can slow the flow somehow or I'll never be able to use sand with this filter in this tank.It pushes out a big hole in front of the filter and keeps it stirred up.

Ohh haha...I have an ac in a 30 with sand and don't have that problem? It should stop when the hole gets deep enough

Okay I gave up on the sand already. I would have waited it out but the wife & kids couldn't stand looking at it like that. Tried to convince them they might as well get used to being more patient because we're not putting any fish in it until it's cycled.
Emptied/cleaned it all out. It's got white aquarium gravel in it now and halfway filled back up with clear water. I have a couple of ideas about the filter flow, might silicone some kind of deal to the back glass right under the outlet to redirect and diffuse the water.

Update.
Well I figured out from some measurements I found in a link from a post on this site that it's a 40 long not a 50/55.
I think I fixed the huge waterfall problem I had. I took one of the spare sponge pads I bought for the Aquaclear 70 and siliconed it to the back glass right where the output from the filter comes out. Works great so far.
Never posted pics on this forum before but if I did it right here's a pic.

Attachments

• 000_1003.jpg
    000_1003.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 63
Back
Top Bottom