Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Welcome from Texas!

Hi everyone! I've been out of fish keeping for a few years. My wife got me the Aqueon 16 gallon aquarium for a Christmas present. It's dimensions are 30x8x16. I've always done freshwater and this one is no exception. The kit came with a lousy filter and heater. I upgraded the filter to an Aquaclear 50. Over the past few weekends I built a stand for it following Rocket Engineer's plan found on the internet.

It's been cycled but I'm afraid I got too excited about getting back into the hobby. I've got 5 gold barbs, 5 cherry barbs, 1 male & 1 female convict cichild, and a firemouth. I'm sure all of these cichilds are going to get too big but I really like them.

Any advice on evening out my tank and what I should take back is appreciated!

Old 02-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome from Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshark View Post
Hi everyone! I've been out of fish keeping for a few years. My wife got me the Aqueon 16 gallon aquarium for a Christmas present. It's dimensions are 30x8x16. I've always done freshwater and this one is no exception. The kit came with a lousy filter and heater. I upgraded the filter to an Aquaclear 50. Over the past few weekends I built a stand for it following Rocket Engineer's plan found on the internet.

It's been cycled but I'm afraid I got too excited about getting back into the hobby. I've got 5 gold barbs, 5 cherry barbs, 1 male & 1 female convict cichild, and a firemouth. I'm sure all of these cichilds are going to get too big but I really like them.

Welcome!

I realize you like they cichlids they are very pretty but I would either take them back or very quickly rehome them to a bigger tank.

Firemouth alone needs at least a 30 gallon tank.

Same goes for convicts.

Cichlids also get very mean/aggressive while breeding.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick is fixed!
~75g new community tank.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshark View Post

I'd get a much bigger tank for your cichlids, and maybe even the gold barbs.

Fishobsessed7

Fishobsessed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Welcome to AA by the way!

Fishobsessed7

Fishobsessed7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com