Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well hello there!!

Hello people. Just joined this site. I have a small 60 litre goldfish aquarium and also have just had delivered a 100litre aquarium as am going to set it up for tropical fish. I am a complete beginner when it comes to tropical and am so excited to do it as I think it would look beautiful. I have bought some ornaments and have all the bits that go with tank, heater, pump, thermometer etc. I have come across a small problem though before i start setup today. When I bought the accessories at the fish shop I bought a hoover that sucks all the waste and food up off the gravel. Thing is because my tank is more in depth than width, the hoover can't reach in long enough without getting the mechanical parts wet. (It's battery operated) is there anything I can do to it or buy for it to extend it so it reaches down? Thanks for all your replies in advance.

Old 07-19-2013, 04:36 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to the forum not sure if you can get an extension for your vac? I haven't seen one personally. What make of vac is it?

Old 07-19-2013, 05:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi,

It's called marina multi vac. I bought it from pets at home. If I do a 50% water change every week, it may be enough to get round this problem. Is this ok with tropical fish, as I have heard different info on water changes. You have to do it, you don't do it, you can never do more than half etc. it's very confusing for a beginner!!
Old 07-19-2013, 05:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hi, i have that vac too i only use it for picking up uneaten food and i have another for my changes. 50 % change is perfect i take that much out of both of my tanks.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

That's ok then I will empty 50% then use the hoover, only using it for old bits of food and dirt in the gravel. Am gonna set it up today. I have a hand pump to take the actual water out to change as I had one for my other fish tank with my goldies in!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« hello | hi there »